MT. Sneffels with Labrador?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dchappy7
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

MT. Sneffels with Labrador?

Post by dchappy7 »

HI, I am thinking of bringing my 5 year old male labrador with me. He is very fit and strong.
Do you think he can handle MT. Sneffels? He can do the class 1 Mtns no problem.
Phil 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: MT. Sneffels with Labrador?

Post by Nelson »

I took my 45 lbs. Aussie up there a couple of years ago. He did fine everywhere but I had to help him through the notch (both up and down).
Svenski Norski
14ers: 30  4 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Svenski Norski »

I wouldn't. I saw dogs at the saddle whining at their masters to come down from the chute, lots of very sharp, loose rock. The notch itself has a real drop to the left going up, not a place you want to be trying to boost your pup.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Svenski Norski wrote:The notch itself has a real drop to the left going up, not a place you want to be trying to boost your pup.
Don't take this as an endorsement to bring a dog because it's not, but you don't have to go through the notch. There is a solid class 3 route up the face next to the couloir (climber's left) that bypasses the notch.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

We did that class 3 alternate route. There is a chance that we were on a different route than you guys, but there were a few moves that a dog would not be able to do (hoisting yourself up 3-4 ft walls. Nothing above class 3, but just be prepared to carry your dog through it if this is something you're determined to do.

I fall on the conservative side of this argument, but I would not take a dog up Sneffels.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I love hiking with my lab, but I'd be too paranoid about him kicking rocks on other folks to take him on Sneffels. Both gullies are extremely loose.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
dchappy7
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by dchappy7 »

Thank you all for the replies I really appreciate the advice.
Phil 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength"
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Rockfall hazard from humans is bad enough in the gullies. I don't think a dog would be quite as careful. Just remember, you're responsible for your dog and its actions. As others have mentioned, lots of sharp, loose rock.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

In for the dog hate...

My doggie has done about 25 14ers but I would not bring her on this peak again because of the rock situation and getting her through the notch.
PattyCakes
14ers: 42  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PattyCakes »

Here's another suggestion. You could climb Sneffels with a hiking partner, then do a shuttle. Meaning 1 person stays with the dog and the other climbs the last 100ft to the top. Then take turns on the summit. This way you would avoid the class 3 section near the top with your dog.

To avoid kicking rocks down on people, climb Sneffels in Late June. In most years the rock Gully is full of snow. All you need are some microspikes, and an ice axe. Your dog with his claws should be able to do just fine.

This way its a win win for everyone. You don't kick rocks down on people, your able to take you dog close to the summit and you also get to climb Mt. Sneffels.

This was how I climb Sneffels with my dog. It worked great.
MountainSlayer
14ers: 40 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MountainSlayer »

If you want to stay in the San Juans, why not do Handies, Redcloud or Sunshine? All three are - in my humble opinion - rather straightforward (if you stay on the standard routes) and extremely enjoyable for man and beast alike.
BuckTurgidson
14ers: 32  2 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BuckTurgidson »

MountainSlayer wrote:If you want to stay in the San Juans, why not do Handies, Redcloud or Sunshine? All three are - in my humble opinion - rather straightforward (if you stay on the standard routes) and extremely enjoyable for man and beast alike.
I just did Handies with my 11 year-old twins and 1.5 year-old Vizsla. We're from back East, so the thin air was a factor for us humans. The dog didn't complain, though. :lol:

Handies was otherwise very easy. He could have gone off-leash, but he is pretty adventurous, and I pictured him going after a marmot, and never seeing him again. Also, it was less wear-and-tear on the paws, since he wasn't running so much.