MT. Sneffels with Labrador?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: MT. Sneffels with Labrador?

Post by Jesse M »

How many humans have been hurt by dog caused rockfall? I am guessing it is far less than the average gaper. Just an observation.

Still wouldn't take my husky on Sneffels though. Wouldn't want to be that guy.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

You only need to kick one rock to cause a major accident.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

ameristrat wrote:You only need to kick one rock to cause a major accident.
Good point, that is a great argument to never go into the danger zones of the high peaks. Honestly, it is the reason I have chosen to explore other options the 14ers have to offer, without a goal for a summit. These days an approach with a view is one of my true joys, and I can bring my pup without the worry of rockfall on other hikers. Also I don't think I could carry my 55 pound husky out if I had to, and that kinda scares me.
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
hberry
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hberry »

We should keep humans off the trails with this logic as well. I have seen far more humans kicking rocks down at me than dogs.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

hberry wrote:

We should keep humans off the trails with this logic as well. I have seen far more humans kicking rocks down at me than dogs.
Sketchy at best. Dogs very likely don't understand the concept of not disturbing rocks for the safety of others. And your experience/data on human versus dog rock kicking would seem to be highly anecdotal and likely based on a higher volume of human hikers.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I have had dogs knock rocks down on me at Uncompahgre (at the only place they COULD!), Princeton, and Flattop (AK). Maybe more. It's not that uncommon. It's just that there are waaaay fewer dogs climbing more difficult peaks, just as there are fewer humans. I also think most dog-hikers leave their dogs at home when climbing more difficult peaks. Kudos to them. Why put people in harm's way when you can avoid it? I just don't understand the mentality of taking your dog EVERYWHERE, let alone on a climb with loose rock.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.