Have Dogs Completed All 14ers?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
simargl
Trip Reports (0)

Have Dogs Completed All 14ers?

Post by simargl »

Does anyone know how many dogs have summited all the 14ers? Either the list of 53 or 58 peaks, minus Longs Peak of course. Not trying to start a dog on trails debate or whether dogs should be allowed in National Parks, etc. Just curious how many dogs have completed the list. My pup and I are getting close to finishing the list of 58 peaks.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Have Dogs Completed All 14ers?

Post by mtgirl »

Refer to this post:
http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... lit=sawyer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forum member Inky6900 is very knowledgable, and his pup climbed all but one, Capitol. He is in the process of writing a book about Sawyer, who passed away recently. Shoot Inky6900 a PM - I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

I'm interested in how you take a dog on Capitol. Any info on how to minimize rockfall hazards when taking a dog up some of those peaks with steep areas with loose rock? Maybe it's just my pup but she's more excited about getting up than worrying about the rocks she's knocking so I'm hesitant to take her on some 14ers.
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
simargl
Trip Reports (0)

Post by simargl »

Here is a picture of our traverse back across the Knife Edge on Capital. I designed the full strength harness for my dog which I have used on several climbs. We placed about 5 link cams across and my friend belayed him as I traversed with the pup to help if needed and retrieve the gear. I only take this dog on these types of climbs; the others stay home, because he listens extremely well and has a better aptitude in these technical areas. He seems more methodical about his movements and doesn’t knock many rocks down, especially compared to my other dogs. Not sure how to teach them better climbing technics beyond experience and practice. I do put packs on the other dogs with full water bottles; it seems to slow them down and takes the extra energy edge off and slows them down.
Attachments
Melvin-Capital.JPG
Melvin-Capital.JPG (33.05 KiB) Viewed 2758 times