FOUND DOG on Mt. Guyot at 13,000 feet

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

FOUND DOG on Mt. Guyot at 13,000 feet

Post by Kojones »

I have learned of someone who has found the female dog (Husky or similar) pictured below on Mt. Guyot this past weekend. The dog was found at about 13,000 feet and had to be carried down. If it's yours, I'm happy to get you all connected. In a few days it will apparently become officially his dog, but he cannot keep it. He is willing to give it to a good home. The dog is house trained, good with kids and other dogs, and seems to enjoy running.

I hope this will lead back to the dog's home, but if not, hopefully we can find a better situation than a shelter.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (53.72 KiB) Viewed 4252 times
Cheers,
Kojones
Last edited by Kojones on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: FOUND DOG on Mt. Guyot at 13,000 feet

Post by climbinfool »

What a great-looking dog! Hope the owner finds it. Wish I was in a position to take on another dog, if not. Do you know if it's a male or female?

(I don't doubt that dog likes to run)
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
"Oh...oh I've got a helmet - I got a beauty!" - George Hanson
Kojones
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

climbinfool wrote:Do you know if it's a male or female?
Female.

Kojones
DArcyS
14ers: 58 
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Kojones wrote:The dog . . . seems to enjoy running.
Mystery as to how the dog got lost . . . SOLVED!
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Looks like a husky to me. Huskies are notoriously unreliable off leash. Some can be trained, but most will run forever once they get free. By the time they think to look for their owner, they're too far gone to be found. I hope your friend can reunite her with her human.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
VickieV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VickieV »

Please be sure to notify a local shelter or vet. She might be micro-chipped. As a husky owner, I can attest to the fact they bolt if given a chance.
Kojones
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

Dex wrote:Did she have a collar on?
No collar or microchip.

Kojones
climbinfool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

Yep, they vary. I had a malamute-wolf hybrid that wouldn't think twice about getting out of the yard (and often did) but was great about staying close and checking in off leash on hikes and climbs and backpacking.

Except for the heterochromia iridis, she looks a helluva lot like my old girl when she was just a pup.
"Everybody I know has a big 'but'" - if you can tell me what movie this quote is from (and aren't too embarrassed to admit it), I'll buy you lunch.
RadioJay
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

Hey, wasn't there a separate thread about a Husky-type dog lost in this same area several weeks ago?
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

RadioJay wrote:Hey, wasn't there a separate thread about a Husky-type dog lost in this same area several weeks ago?
Doesn't look like the same dog: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... t=lost+dog
Unless there was another thread..
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
climbinfool
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

I know there was one about a Belgian Malinois in the Fairplay or Alma area (originally lost in the Georgia Pass area). Pretty sure there was another one too, but I think he was a lab/pointer mix.
RadioJay
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RadioJay »

You're right, different dog.