Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Unleashed dogs in wilderness

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

I love hiking with my dog. I wish I could let her off leash, but she goes batshit crazy when she encounters other off-leash dogs while on her leash. I've essentially stopped taking her on popular trails because of that.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

It's about safety people! For you, for me, and for your beloved pet, please follow lease rules. Here's a link to an interesting article about wilderness dangers, and dogs are... well, read it for yourself.

http://www.longs2pikes.com/hazards.html

Yesterday I had an encounter with an unleashed dog (on a leash required trail), and it went like this: I was hiking back to the car after summiting Greys/Torres and noticed a jack rabbit in the trail. I stopped to observe it and the dog came up behind me and spotted it too. The dog charged the rabbit, the rabbit ran into the willows and the dog did too. Did the owner see any of this? No. I waited for the dog's party to catch up ( the owner was not included, as they were still further up) I told the hikers what happened and in which direction the dog ran off. After a few tense moments of calling without any sign, the dog did return and all was well. What if I hadn't been there? Would they have walked right by the lost dog thinking it's right around the next corner? Is this how dogs get lost (and left) in the wild?
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CHeimCO wrote:I was hiking back to the car after summiting Greys/Torres...
Where's Greys/Torres?
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

rijaca wrote:
Where's Greys/Torres?
Mexico. Great peaks. You should check out Karlos's ridge.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

CHeimCO wrote:What if I hadn't been there? Would they have walked right by the lost dog thinking it's right around the next corner? Is this how dogs get lost (and left) in the wild?
It is an amazing stroke of luck that you were there at just the right moment, the dog certainly would have gotten lost and died otherwise. Hopefully this message will prevent future catastrophes now that we understand the risks.
CHeimCO
14ers: 4 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (2)

Post by CHeimCO »

rijaca wrote:
Where's Greys/Torres?
Correction: Grays/Torreys. I guess I know how to spell those now...
Jeff Valliere wrote:
CHeimCO wrote:What if I hadn't been there? Would they have walked right by the lost dog thinking it's right around the next corner? Is this how dogs get lost (and left) in the wild?
It is an amazing stroke of luck that you were there at just the right moment, the dog certainly would have gotten lost and died otherwise. Hopefully this message will prevent future catastrophes now that we understand the risks.
Thanks for staying on topic Jeff!
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

Dogs have a better sense of direction than most people.
I'm sure the dog would have been just fine.

You didn't save it's life.
Might have prevented some wasted time, but that's about it.

Dogs will forever be off leash, even in designated leashed areas.

JQ
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Dogs have a better sense of direction than most people.
I'm sure the dog would have been just fine.

You didn't save it's life.
Might have prevented some wasted time, but that's about it.
Unfortunately, occasionally dogs can and do get lost chasing after animals. Just look at all the lost dog threads in this forum.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Tejonmax
14ers: 25 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tejonmax »

There isn't one simple answer to this question/problem. The first year I hiked with my dog he was always on the leash. Last year I tried him off leash and he was great. He stays close to me, doesn't chase wildlife or bother people, and he listens to me. He actually doesn't like people much so he takes a wide track around people when we meet them on the trail. If I see another hiker with a dog on a leash, I always put him on the leash until we are past them. Not that he would be a problem but out of respect for the other hiker I always do it. Every dog is different. The problem is almost always the OWNER, not the dog. The owner needs to make these decisions for their dog. Dogs will just be dogs. Everyone always says their dog is friendly and that may be true. BUT, you never know how any two "friendly" dogs will react to each other. Just like people, some just don't like certain other dogs. I will say that my dog is much better with other dogs when he is off leash but I watch his and the other dogs reactions closely to head off any problems before they occur.

Two summers ago I was hiking Sherman. On the way down I saw a girl in the distance down near the pond with two dogs on leashes. A couple of guys had a loose dog running around the girl and she was really struggling to hold on to them with the other dog bothering them. Then the dog came up to us and it was the same thing. I had my dog on a leash but the other dog was a real problem. As the guys came by I told them then need get control of their dog. Their answer was "he is under control" That folks IS the problem. Blaming the dog is like blaming a hammer for hitting your thumb.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Most dogs are fine off leash. There are a few dog owners who just don't a s**t though. But I find that the ones who don't care are never going to leash their dogs anyway, so why punish all the good dogs.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Setting up our tents in the dispersed camping near the Mt. Massive SW Slopes route this weekend, the neighboring campsite let their dog roam around all over no matter if the other campers likes his dog sniffing them or not. Then the dog s**t right in the middle of our camp area. Sucked.
RBski
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RBski »

12ersRule wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Where's Greys/Torres?
Mexico. Great peaks. You should check out Karlos's ridge.
Come on everyone knows it is in Patagonia.