Off the beaten path for dog

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Off the beaten path for dog

Post by jomagam »

I would love to hear your recommendations for a trail or mountain road near Denver (30-min drive tops) that is not really frequented by other dogs, because mine doesn't play too nice with others. It obviously won't be the best trails, but a flat one like Rocky Mountain Arsenal is still better than nothing.
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Off the beaten path for dog

Post by pfiore1 »

For my love of dogs and the safety of others, I have spent a lot of time thinking about and responding to this thread to try and help your situation. I have so many things I need to do right now but I feel compassionate and sympathetic about your situation and will offer my suggestions and advice to solving this issue. I am speaking as a professional dog trainer, behaviorist, enthusiast, and mostly an advocate for the safety of others. It is more important to resolve the current behavioral issues with your dog than to find uninhabited areas to walk him/her (that's secondary), treat the problem rather than avoid conflict by taking your dog on walks miles from civilization. Treat the causing symptoms rather than avoiding the problem.

When did you get your dog (how old was he/she), what breed, what history is known, do you know of any traumatic incidents that may have changed your dog's behavior, how much obedience and other trainings did he/she receive and how much puppy socialization with other dogs did he/she receive? You may not enjoy reading my advice, but hear me out, I am kind of a "dog whisperer" and I have very extensive experience with dogs in the wilderness, many types of specialty training, behavior modification, feedback from the general public, etc. If your dog "doesn't play nice with others" you may not want to take your dog on any trail, period, for safety reasons, at least for now until the issue is remedied. Many people are afraid of dogs on trails (for whatever personal reasons) and an encounter with an aggressive dog only adds to that fear and stereotype. My Siberian Husky sisters are like the Mother Theresa or Dalai Llama of dogs, and when I see a person on the trail try and shoo away, hurt, throw rocks at, or threaten to hurt my girls because they automatically assume they are mean, I defend them like my children and almost do very bad things to those people, I take it very personal.

It depends on what you define as not playing nice (sometimes it's just a behavior that defends his/her owner, sometimes it is due to improper or no training, sometimes it is just anxiety or the dog was never appropriately trained or socialized as a puppy, sometimes it is PTSD from a previous incident, etc.) and how the dog reacts to both humans/strangers and other dogs/animals, and the difference between on and off leash. There are many variables, even aggressive dogs need to release pent up energy/anxiety by hitting the trail for some much needed exercise to burn off energy, one of many reasons why some act aggressively, little to no physical activity or social interactions (although improper training is often the main culprit), but precautions need to be well planned in advance and enforced. Safety for humans, other dogs, wildlife, and your dog as well take top priority.

Almost all trails, even the most remote ones may have another hiker on it with a dog as well, on or off leash, well trained or not. Depending on your dog's past negative experience and the primary reason why it "doesn't play nice with others," the temporary short-term solution maybe going off trail and avoid any confrontation whatsoever. Or, if you show up at a trailhead and there are no cars parked, then the probability of the trail being empty is high (but not always), someone with a dog may show up at the TH after you leave the TH and head up the same trail.

Do you think your dog has leash aggression, is poorly trained, highly defensive and territorial, overall not a socialized dog, all of the above? Is he/she spayed or neutered (makes a huge difference in behavior and dominance)? I completely understand the difference between leash aggression and other types of aggression. Many dogs are super friendly and kind when off leash, however when they are put on a leash they may act very different than normal and act aggressively and be a threat towards other dogs and humans, even the same dogs they just happily played with just minutes ago while off leash. Mostly because they feel trapped an caged on the leash.

Number one, if your dog is unsafe or unpredictable around other humans, not just dogs, then he/she needs to stay off public trails period, even on a leash unless he/she has a muzzle on. I would recommend seeking a specialized dog behaviorist/trainer that can help alleviate any aggression, either through training/socialization/medication, all three or something else. Also, very important, many people use shock collars for training their dogs, works great for some behaviors, but for an aggressive dog, never ever ever use a shock collar to discipline an aggressive dog. Always provide positive reinforcement, praise and consequences for positive behavior and use reasonable, proper, non-threatening and effective negative consequences for negative behaviors, never abusive or frighten the dog (ignore them during inappropriate behaviors, when you give a command like come, sit, stay, etc. never let the dog run the show. If he/she does not do what you said, do not allow him/her to get away with disobeying your order, repeat the command over and over agin until you get the desired result .

I have two Siberian Husky sisters from the same litter and they are the most precious, loving, kind, obedient, perfect mountaineering dogs ever, not a single aggressive gene in their DNA and have enforced and continue to practice and enforce very strict training since they were 8 weeks old and have been heavily socialized to humans, dogs, cats, everything. Keep small raining treats in your pocket for positive behavior and give them praise, ignore their negative behavior, sometimes that means a time out or their trip is over. When I approach another dog owner and the dog behaves erratically aggressive, I am not happy, my girls are scared and hide in between my legs, and I have a lot of suggestions and a lot to to say to that person.

For the safety of other humans, dogs, wildlife and yourself, I would highly recommend a strict training socialization regiment before bring your dog into a public space. For one, you don't want any human or dog injured and certainly do not want to face a potential lawsuit or have your dog put down.

That was a lot of information regarding your original question, and I hope you understand and appreciate the time and effort at trying to find the best and safest solution for your situation (and many other people's situations) if you have more info you'd like to share that I don't know, whether you would like resources at helping your dog reach full potential, or meet up and use my two "safety" training Siberian Huskies to help socialize your dog, please let me know. I just want to help you, your dog, and the general public.

I think that was the longest post I have ever posted on any forum, also a post where I did not exactly answer your question about a secluded trail 30 minutes from the Front Range to walk your unpredictable dog. Sorry, I stay away from the Front Range and haven't done many climbs over there since the Diamond, Lamb's Slide, Meekers, and a few others a long time ago.. Good luck.

Thanks, Pat
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks a lot, I just sent you a PM.
pfiore1
14ers: 58  38  18 
13ers: 183 43 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pfiore1 »

Anytime, I just sent you a PM trying to offer better advice. If we can meet up, I'd be more than happy to help one on one.
Dissent Is Patriotic

Support your local Search and Rescue agency. Be safe and respect your wilderness.

Custer County Search and Rescue, Inc... https://www.custersar.org

Custer County SAR Facebook... https://www.facebook.com/CusterSAR/?fref=photo

Colorado Search and Rescue... https://coloradosar.org

CORSAR Fund... https://cdola.colorado.gov/funding-prog ... escue-fund