Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Recommend external frame packs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Recommend external frame packs?

Postby atbaritone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 am

Hey all, I tried the internal frame "craze," but I just don't see what it is all about. Since I pretty much only do on-trail backpacking, I want to return to the kind of backpack made for that kind of hiking: the good old external frame. I can find precious few external frame backpacks on the market, and most of them are boy scout sized. That is to say, made for boy scouts, not the actual size of a boy scout. Anyway, I want an external frame pack with about 5,000 cubic inches of packable space. Can anyone make some recommendations of external frame backpacks currently on the market?
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.

Re: Recommend external frame packs?

Postby Voodoo302 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am

Campmor carries half a dozen or so, Kelty, Jansport, etc... You might also try Cabela's or another outfitter-type place; hunters like the external frame for packing rifles and game and such.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368422

EDIT: I'm an idiot, you were asking for recommendations as well. I went on a trip with a guy who had an older version of the Kelty Trekker and he was really happy with it. Never carried it myself but they do make quality packs.

Postby SeracZack » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=Alaskan+Frame+Pack&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I personally like the Cabelas Alaskan Frame Packs. I have no experience with the packs themselves, only with the frames. The good thing about these is that you can buy just about any frame and then put just about any one of the different packs on them. I have an old (~15 years) pack frame from them and use it to carry meat. I have had around 80 pounds on them before but I wouldn't reccommend that much weight for a long distance.

They are highly adjustable, and would be as big as anything you would ever want.

I would recommend trying them on first before buying. Which unless you wait until Spring, you'll have to drive to Sydney or Grand Junction to do that.

Good luck in the search.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby pills2619 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am

I really like all the Kelty external frames. I don't use it for anything anymore other than loaning to friends and family who don't have a backpacking backpack but its really adjustable and sturdy. One time I took my older sister up Pikes Peak on the Barr trail with all of my gear plus all my sisters gear tied to the back of that thing. Must have been close to a 100lbs and it felt pretty good on my back considering the unpleasant state of the remainder of my body. I bet you could find some really nice used ones ass well.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby DaveLanders » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

One thing to consider is that with an external frame pack, it's a lot easier to tie stuff like
your sleeping bag onto the outside of the pack. So, you may not actually need a 5000
cubic inch pack, if you were basing that size on what size of internal frame pack you used.

Postby atbaritone » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:36 pm

DaveLanders wrote:One thing to consider is that with an external frame pack, it's a lot easier to tie stuff like
your sleeping bag onto the outside of the pack. So, you may not actually need a 5000
cubic inch pack, if you were basing that size on what size of internal frame pack you used.

That is true, and that is one of the joys of the external frame pack. I'm basing that figure on the size of my all-time favorite external frame pack, which was 4,700 cubic inches...and I sometimes like to spend ten days in the back country in a single outing.

Thanks for the good ideas from all. I think I may actually end up getting a gently used external frame pack from eBay and putting some new shoulder straps and a new hip belt on it. Camp Trails McKinley is, in my opinion, the best back pack ever, and I have found a couple that are good candidates.

Postby ezabielski » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:21 pm

atbaritone wrote:Hey all, I tried the internal frame "craze," but I just don't see what it is all about. Since I pretty much only do on-trail backpacking, I want to return to the kind of backpack made for that kind of hiking: the good old external frame. I can find precious few external frame backpacks on the market, and most of them are boy scout sized. That is to say, made for boy scouts, not the actual size of a boy scout. Anyway, I want an external frame pack with about 5,000 cubic inches of packable space. Can anyone make some recommendations of external frame backpacks currently on the market?

I would hardly call internal frames a "craze", if you're implying that they are only going to popular for a short amount of time.

Postby atbaritone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:54 am

ezabielski wrote:
atbaritone wrote:Hey all, I tried the internal frame "craze," but I just don't see what it is all about. Since I pretty much only do on-trail backpacking, I want to return to the kind of backpack made for that kind of hiking: the good old external frame. I can find precious few external frame backpacks on the market, and most of them are boy scout sized. That is to say, made for boy scouts, not the actual size of a boy scout. Anyway, I want an external frame pack with about 5,000 cubic inches of packable space. Can anyone make some recommendations of external frame backpacks currently on the market?

I would hardly call internal frames a "craze", if you're implying that they are only going to popular for a short amount of time.

I know. That was my intention. I smiled when I wrote it.