Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Favorite Beer?

Postby DanR » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 pm

Matt wrote:Tonight's Hipster Bedtime Story can be found below:

So, just where did Pabst get that Blue Ribbon?
Find out here: http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/design/2012/11/where-did-pabst-win-that-blue-ribbon/

In other beer news, this year's Deschutes Hop Henge is out. Yum, and at $4.59 for a bomber of 10.6% ABV hoppy goodness, it's a winner best shared on any given weeknight.

PBR also won gold at this year's GABF in the American Style Lager category, but considering Keystone Light got the bronze the competition wasn't exactly stellar.

And, as you say, it's a good time of year to be an aficionado of just about any beer style. The hop heads get fresh hop beers, plus Maharaja came back a couple weeks ago and Lagunitas Sucks, which I've heard some great things about, is just hitting stores now. Crooked Stave is rocking the wilds/sours, the big stouts and barleywines are all out to play, and every store and respectable taproom is filled with barrel aged goodness. Happy new year indeed!

Postby jsype » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:49 pm

Old No1 BarleyWine.JPG
Old No1 BarleyWine.JPG (172.91 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Ahh,
Just found a secret stash of these, and am now curling up into a nice, fuzzy warm ball
Doubly happy, however, is the man to whom lofty mountain-tops are within reach --John Muir

Postby unclegar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

FYI for anyone stopping in Estes Park before/after Longs or any other climb in RMNP:

Poppy's Pizza now has expanded to 15 taps. They only get one keg of Pliny the Elder per month so call ahead to see if it is in if that is a game-changer.

Poppys Beer Menu.jpg
Poppys Beer Menu.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 639 times
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Postby Johnson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm

"Holy Cow"..... a tribute to Britt?

LUGENE Chocolate Milk Stout...... wow.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby MountainMedic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 pm

It's not an absolute favorite, but Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn has been turning out some incredible beer. Resin is a great IIPA, Diesel is a great stout, Three Beans is a great coffee porter, Crisp is a great Pilsener, and I've still got Brownstone to try! Their stuff is pretty easy to find in the Tristate area, for anyone unlucky enough to be here.

Postby Johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:08 am

I guess this is my weekend to check out some different stouts....

SKA Vinifera Stout..... hard to say for sure after just one, but this might be a new favorite stout for me. Interestingly, it is brewed with malbec grapejuice. I am not into fruity beers but there is not much fruitiness going on with this. Seasonal as I understand it and it comes in cans. If I ever do a winter trip to the backcountry again this shall be at the top of my list! :iluvbeer:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby LTbear » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Grand Teton's winter seasonal - Coming Home Winter Warmer - is simply fantastic. I be I've had a dozen of them over the past 4 months or so.

Postby rockchalker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Doesn't get a whole lot better than the below although the Pliny was easily the class of the field.

"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby DanR » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:57 pm

IPA, a beer style that demands freshness more than almost any other, is a major focus in this thread. In keeping with that, a reminder that the season of Pliny the Younger is nearly upon us. I honestly haven't had enough super fresh huge IPAs to really say where PtY falls, but I do know that it is good and that you can be sure that it's fresh.

Postby LTbear » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Johnson wrote:"Holy Cow"..... a tribute to Britt?

LUGENE Chocolate Milk Stout...... wow.

Indeed. Had a four pack this weekend. Good stuff.

Postby klinger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:45 am

Enjoying this Bomber right now

AMAZING. So much less bubbly zing then some competitors I have had recently (of similar abv), reminiscent of a more classic stout, pours strong with a cascade like nitro milk or guiness, but add special omgness.

Postby Johnson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:45 pm

I got this ride from Sierra Nevada. I was made in collaboration with some Monk dudes. 10.2. Solid.. not sure if it is a "favorite" but the dude on the bottle reminded me of Wildbo.....

IMG_20130223_202604_306.jpg
IMG_20130223_202604_306.jpg (69.2 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Can NOT go wrong with Bear Republic!

PreviousNext