Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

New InReach

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

New InReach

Postby CO Native » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:23 am

Looks like Delorme is coming out with a second generation of their InReach. Looks like a pretty good upgrade for not much more than the original. Still doesn't have the functions of a GPS, but this one doesn't need to be paired with a phone to send and receive text messages.

Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Re: New InReach

Postby Teresa Gergen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

It looks like it will have an internal rechargeable battery only. That could be a significant problem on long trips. All of the features it has probably use up power a lot more quickly than, say, a Spot unit does.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Delorme-inReach-SE.aspx

Postby jeremy27 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm

I have the older model and the most problematic aspect has been syncing with my phone - although it functions just fine as a stand alone unit if you only want to send pre-loaded messages ("I'm ok but running late"). If you don't have it in tracking mode battery life shouldnt be a problem but with a screen battery life is going to suffer.

Postby Rock-a-Fella » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:19 pm

I guess there is a potential benefit to a single unit. Having used both the PN60 version and the smartphone version toggling and scrolling around to write a message is a pain. Using the text screen of a smartphone and or iPod Touch is lighting fast by comparison. Screen for viewing maps on Gen 2 would be very small 2"x2" maybe?

I would suggests staying with a unit that pairs with a smartphone. As for pairing difficulties....I have some and found them to be Operator error. Once you get a routine
down for turning on your bluetooth and "connecting" you should be fine. There was a software update late last summer that eliminated most Gen1 problems.