Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Decent Lightweight Camera

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Decent Lightweight Camera

Postby MtHurd » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:01 am

Toobin Tobin wrote:Image

Pummel and Lost Mine Peak in the background. If you look close enough you can see Emory.

I've been tempted by the Panasonic Lumix zs15.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS15-Sensitivity-Digital-Optical/dp/B00728ZAHG

Postby ulvetano » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am

Hi All - Any new thoughts on cameras in this genre? I need to quickly pull the trigger on a new camera (this weekend) and the S95/100 and some of the others look like pretty good options. Any hot new items out there that should be considered? I could also up the price range if needed - up to $1000? Was considering a bigger DSLR, but it really does seem impractical for my desired point and click lifesytle. But I'd like to step it up and at least learn some basics of shooting with a decent camera.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Postby pseudoghost » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 am

If money is no object, then I would say the Sony RX100 is the best camera you can buy, shy of a full DSLR. It can take some stunning pictures, especially given the size of the camera.

Postby KyleS » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:35 am

Bean wrote:The Olympus Tough TG-1 is intriguing. Might not have to decide between nice photos and durability, having trouble finding a proper review though.

I'm in the same boat - my Olympus SW is finally wearing out after 6 years of intense abuse. I've been very impressed with it's durability, but the picture quality and limited zoom are typical for pocket-sized point and shoot cameras.

The new TG series looks awesome: Just as tough as my old one, with a wide lens for quality landscape shots right out of the box, and you can attach actual lenses for more professional shots (they sell a telephoto and a fisheye). Finally, the best of both worlds. Plus, the large aperture seems to handle low light and action better than most. I'm 85% set on buying one for an upcoming trip.

Postby MonGoose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am

I'm in love with my Canon G12 - which has since been replaced by the Canon G15. Lightweight, heavy duty, manual settings and shoots in RAW.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889961-REG/Canon_PowerShot_G15_Digital_Camera.html

The Nikon P7700 is comparable (and less expensive):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888168-REG/Nikon_26360_Coolpix_P7700_Digital_Camera.html

Postby nyker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:51 pm

One thing you guys can consider is looking at a used DSLR - you can find a nice quality body/lens package for the price range of the original poster from Nikon or Canon. The great thing about the Prosumer cameras is their small size and lightweight, but hard to compare in low light situations, high contrasting areas (i.e. snow and rock), etc, where the DSLR will usually always be better, but heavier...

Postby TallGrass » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Samsung HZ30W posted to Gear Classifieds. Specifications.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby bergsteigen » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I have the Canon S90 and now the S100. Love them both. Tiny and lightweight enough to carry on a pack strap, but powerful enough to get the shot you want.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Carl » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Another fan of the S95. Haven't followed the reviews of the two newer models but I assume folks like them just as much. Looking forward to the pics. Have a great trip.

Postby Bean » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:06 pm

I've got an S100 and it's pretty nice, except for the crack in the screen from a wheelie taken too far.

I've also got a 30D, a couple lenses, batteries, and a polarizer I'd be willing to part with for fairly cheap. It's all pretty light too (at least compared to what I'm carrying now).
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby dehrlich101 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:10 pm

S100! Best point and shoot I've owned.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby nkan02 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Whatever you do, just don't get Olympus Stylus Tough. POS

PreviousNext