Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lightning Strike Apps

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Lightning Strike Apps

Postby hburg1222 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:08 am

Does anyone have any experience with Lighting Strike Apps? Good or Bad. Any recommendations for a good app? Or are they a waste of time and money?

Re: Lightning Strike Apps

Postby Indigomountain » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:19 am

I have "weatherbug elite" ($.99 or $1.99 I think) which has a lightning strike tab. I use it for fun and a bit to gauge what is going on but find that it is really accurate. Yesterday, I saw/heard a flash-boom of thunder and lightning outside my window and up the hill a bit. The app said it was within .2 of a mile. I would say that is pretty accurate. Just my $.02!
"Peace, Love and Fresh Mountain Air"

Postby pseudoghost » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:34 am

Waste of money. They all require data access (i.e. a cellular network) to work, as they pull data from the NWS about lightning strikes.

Postby Indigomountain » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:06 pm

I suppose I should have added that I do not use this in the back country. As Pseudoghost pointed out, no network service.

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:48 am

I have the free Weatherbug app on my phone, and it includes a lightning strike function. Somewhat useful at home.....but yeah, worthless in the mountains most of the time. Would probably work just fine on Quandary, though. :wink: That is, if your battery would last that long.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James