Walkie-Talkies

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
droidly
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (9)

Walkie-Talkies

Post by droidly »

i'm going to be traveling with a group of 7 to redcloud and had planned on having everyone bring walkie-talkies... but considering the range is fairly limited, i'm wondering whether it's really worth it. couldn't hurt right? does anyone use walkies with a group?
----------------------------------------------------------
we're at the end of the map. there be monsters here. ~barbossa
so_il_summit
14ers: 37 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Walkie-Talkies

Post by so_il_summit »

while I question there usefulness

they are a whole lot of fun!!
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by iceman »

When we travel in large groups with mixed experience levels, we keep an experienced person in the front and one in the back with walkie talkies. Garmin Rinos are great. Not only are they walkie talkies, but when you key the mike your friends can see your location.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Yup, same here. I'll take one along and have one other person carry on when I go in a larger group. That way if the groups get sepperated, as they tend to do, we can remain in contact. That said, it'd be overkill to have all 7 people carry one. You really don't want to fragment the group that much. You can't depend on walkie talkies if someone has a problem and is sepperated from the group. They say that they have an X mile range, but that's on a flat open field. In the mountains, I've been less than a half mile from my partners and not been able to get any signal because of interference from terrain features like ridgelines and such.
Where ever you are... There you are.
tdon25
14ers: 57 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tdon25 »

I have a pair and I bring 'em about half the time. Often we forget to pass 'em out so the value is limited due to "operator error". I certainly don't rely on them, but they can come in handy.

Once they DID save us a big headache coming off Lindsey, tho. It was pea-soup fog and my buddy headed on from the Iron Nipple (I just like saying that, but I digress) while I cleaned the rocks out of my boots after scree-surfing that crappy coulier. While separated he somehow got into the wrong drainage because of the fog - I remember a LOT of sketchy "use" trails up there. Once I dropped out of the fog I expected to see him in the valley below me - but he wasn't in sight. Using the walkies we were able to figure it out and he was back on track. We're not talking death here, but it would have been very inconvenient.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

I bring mine depending on the group or the situation. They have proven very useful on occasion. Never in a really bad situation but they do make communication a lot easier sometimes. I always bring them if I'm just hiking with one other person. In that case they are a good safety tool. In some cases I've been willing to seperate for a bit only because I knew I could communicate via the radio if needed. I actually helped do some route finding from a distance once because I had a better overall picture of the route than the friend of mine who was hiking.

In a situation below treeline or with multiple valleys and ridges involved they aren't that great because communication is line of sight. We've also used them to talk between cars on a drive to a trailhead or back.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

ezsuperkev wrote:I always bring two in case for some reason I am injured i would be able to give one to someone else to take down to SAR.

In one case on Quandary a girl was moving really slow behind her friends so I gave her one of my radios. Told her to radio me if she was going to turn around so I could notify her friends.
Ezsuperkev,
It was really great of you to do that!

Anyway, we carry walkie-talkies usually when we hike, but we've never had to use them (Knock on wood!!). They're good to have when you have a group with hikers in different speeds. And it's always fun to pretend you're at the Taco Bell or Mickey D's drive-thru! :D
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
covfrrider
14ers: 30  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by covfrrider »

Mel McKinney wrote: And it's always fun to pretend you're at the Taco Bell or Mickey D's drive-thru! :D
They have drive-thru liquor stores in Wyoming... :shock:

(When are you moving Mel?) :lol:
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

covfrrider wrote:
Mel McKinney wrote: And it's always fun to pretend you're at the Taco Bell or Mickey D's drive-thru! :D
They have drive-thru liquor stores in Wyoming... :shock:

I'm holding out for a Daiquiri Hut (I think those are in Louisiana). Nothing like a cold, frosty, blender drink as you're driving down the road! :roll: :lol:
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
so_il_summit
14ers: 37 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by so_il_summit »

covfrrider wrote: They have drive-thru liquor stores in Wyoming... :shock:

they have those in illinois too,

on my last birthday I took a shot with the guy at the window :iluvbeer: [-X
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

I've never been known to not help a post deteriorate, so here goes:
Drive in liquor stores I know of in Colorado:
Gunnison
Craig
and I'm pretty sure there is one in Buena Vista
dcbates80911
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (20)

Post by dcbates80911 »

For drive in liquor stores, there is one 1/2 mile from my house and one big one three miles away, of which I use.

But since this is about Walkie-Talkies, figures it should get back on track. I do carry radios on most of my trips. The main reason is to dia into the local NOAA station. I have been notified of significant weather developments as a result (i.e. sever T-storms or Tornados).

When I am alone, I tend to scan to see where there is radio traffic (just incase I need help). Many channels require a FCC license, but most users do not have them. I do because I was a member of a hot air balloon crew where radio contact was very important. This license is only 5 years and I have two years left. In reality, how are they going to find you if you don't have a license???

I have used my radios on recent climbs with slower hikers. Most notably was the "winter gathering" where I was part of the last group trying to keep the final two climbers in view. The "safety crew" as I call them, kept in radio contact with us as we progressed towards the trailhead. We were able to communicate with them to ensure either we were safe or needed help (luckily it was the former). Once again when I am alone, I tend to scan to find radio traffic in the case I need help.

This is how I use my radios just for your information.
There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.