Favorite Beer?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
s_mooty
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Favorite Beer?

Post by s_mooty »

Red Alert - Pumphouse Brewery in Longmont
Keep it goin'
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

Big fan of Lion beer. The stout.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Presto wrote:The Man and I did a bit of our own little private beer tour over the weekend at home (partaking of the "build your own 6-pak" option for some of it) ... in order of consumption (some of which was merely splitting a 12-oz. bottle):

- Boulevard Single Wide IPA - 5.7%ABV (initially, the aroma was much more than the taste, but as we went along, it was better the more you drank)

:iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer:

Have you tried the Double Wide? I've heard it's good but generally I am not hugely fond of Boulevard. (Colorado Beer Snob) :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: :-"
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

There was a Pliney shipment at the liquor mart last week.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by lordhelmut » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:16 am
There was a Pliney shipment at the liquor mart last week.
:shock: :-" Duly noted.
by Johnson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 pm
Have you tried the Double Wide? I've heard it's good but generally I am not hugely fond of Boulevard. (Colorado Beer Snob) :iluvbeer: :iluvbeer: :-"
I'm not generally a Boulevard fan either ... rather overrated stuff based on what I've tried in the past. But, from what I've read about the Double Wide, I would probably try it. And, that nutcracker ale was pretty darned good.

And, yes, I confess to being a beer snob also. 8-[ :wink:
by Floyd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15 pm
Presto, when you and the Man are running around for another outing, drop me a line. My cousin recently moved in next door to the BnB so we're always up for a tasting tour.
Sounds like a plan. They have some nice seasonal stuff now (and coming). 8)
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
DanR
14ers: 33 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (4)

Post by DanR »

Presto wrote: I'm not generally a Boulevard fan either ... rather overrated stuff based on what I've tried in the past. But, from what I've read about the Double Wide, I would probably try it. And, that nutcracker ale was pretty darned good.
I'm also not a huge fan of Boulevard's more standard offerings, but I really like their saisons. Both their Tank 7 and their Saison Brett are both among the best American examples of their respective styles that I've had. Their Bourbon Barrel Quad is pretty tasty too.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Presto wrote:
by Johnson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:49 pm
I'm not generally a Boulevard fan either ... rather overrated stuff based on what I've tried in the past. But, from what I've read about the Double Wide, I would probably try it. And, that nutcracker ale was pretty darned good.

And, yes, I confess to being a beer snob also. 8-[ :wink:
Have you given Boulevard's Tank 7 a try? Its a solid Saison/Farmhouse ale. I completely agree that most of their other beers are overrated but this one is my favorite.

They also release a seasonal Saison - Brett. Same basic Saison/Farmhouse ale as Tank 7 but they ferment it with some Brettanomyces yeast. I pick up a few every year and age at least one bottle for a few years.

Oh and if anyone hasn't heard about Crooked Stave in Denver yet.. Check it out. I've known the Brewer Chad for a long time, and he really puts out some quality beers.

http://www.crookedstave.com

Chad's Master's Dissertation on Brettanomyces - For us beer nerds.

http://www.brettanomycesproject.com
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Thanks, guys. I will give the Boulevard Saisons varieties a try when I get a chance as I do very much enjoy saisons. I remember having a rather tasty 3-saison flight at Trinity when we were there one time. Interesting info on Crooked Stave. Hoppy trails! :-D :iluvbeer:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

Damn Presto, that's quite a weekend lineup. I like the idea of a home beer-tour... much more creative than just stocking the fridge or cooler with Modus.

Anyway, quick public service announcement: I read in Westword the other day that Renegade will soon be canning their Elevation IPA. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it.
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

y wooderson » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:39 am
Anyway, quick public service announcement: I read in Westword the other day that Renegade will soon be canning their Elevation IPA. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it.

=P~ I need to give you a call this afternoon ... I have AWESOME news. :-D
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

have you had Jerome Beer from Argentina? small bottler but it is around Denver from time to time. If you climb down there you can do a tour. Its great!
http://www.cervezajerome.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bking14ers
14ers: 49 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bking14ers »

I was on a cruise a month ago in the Caribbean, and drank a whole bunch of good beer. Eg; Carib, Kalik, Presidente, Wadadli, etc. One of them claimed that it was the "Official Beer of the Caribbean" I looked closer at the lable, and noticed that it was made up in Maine, USA. I thought that was funny.
Everything you want in life is on the other side of fear. -- Margaret T.
You'll never have a better chance to climb that mountain than you do today. -- Dave C.
Dude! I knew you would cave-in once we got up there. -- Dean G.