Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Which Down Jacket?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Which Down Jacket?

Postby Magnum420 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 pm

Save your money and get this at the next Golite sale in December (usually $140-$150).

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetail.aspx?p=AM1470&mc=171&t=&lat=

How does this(or the hooded inferno) stand up to other brands? I've been waiting for the golite sale to get one but I havnt found many reviews. All golite stuff I have purchased has been great I'm not sure how it compares to other brands in regards to mountaineering. Last sale, the regular inferno was around $125 and I think the hooded was around $140. (sometimes with an extra 20% discount if you have a student id)

Is the warehouse sale going to be in Dec? I thought it was usually around this time of year(late sept, early oct). I havnt heard anything yet and I have a ton of stuff I want to buy.
"I was high on life till I realized it was cut with idiots!" ---Anon---

Postby Bent Gate Staff » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:19 pm

CorduroyCalves wrote:
Bent Gate Staff wrote:In any event, our huge winter sale starts at Bent Gate Mountaineering on October 8th - we have lots of great choices!

What kinds of discounts?

Discounts on clothing, including down jackets, will be between 18-25% off.

Postby Cruiser » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:45 am

I've got one of these and have been quite happy with it. The material is really light weight so I'm not completely sure it's what you're looking for in the way of long term durability, but for a quality 650 fill hooded down jacket the price is tuff to beat. Use coupon code CVR23741 for an extra 20% off and free shipping on orders over $125. It comes out to $108.77 shipped.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby JB99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Anyone with experience on the Das Parka have some more insight for me? I am skeptical to use synthetic over down but like Patagonia and the reviews are all pretty positive. Is it comprable to an 800 fill down with packability and warmth?
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:27 pm

JB99 wrote:Anyone with experience on the Das Parka have some more insight for me? I am skeptical to use synthetic over down but like Patagonia and the reviews are all pretty positive. Is it comprable to an 800 fill down with packability and warmth?

It compares to a similarly insulated down jacket in terms of packability and warmth. It's not like a Marmot 8000 Meter Parka in terms of warmth, but you could compare it to the Mountain Hardwear Sub Zero jacket for warmth/packability. If you use it like a belay jacket it is perfect. Steve House, Vince Anderson, Marko Prezelj, Kelly Cordes, etc. use it for all alpine climbs. Synthetic insulation will also insulate when damp.
Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby JB99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks Baron. I remember seeing a youtube demo with Steve House and he had that on Nanga Parbat so it must be pretty warm...

Postby BaronVonBergschrund » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:18 pm

JB99 wrote:Thanks Baron. I remember seeing a youtube demo with Steve House and he had that on Nanga Parbat so it must be pretty warm...

You didn't use the correct modifier. It is Steve F**king House.

Baron Von Bergschrund
Remember, remember, the third of December.
Sharing wisdom on Rock Climbing, Climbing Shoes, Rappelling, Layering, Eddie Bauer, Pants, Helmets, Ropes, Ice Axes, Tri-Cams, Carabiners

Postby Oman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:19 pm

As the Baron -- or isn't it really Andy? -- would say, I'm no Steve Fn House, but I vote yes on the Patagucci Das Parka. Spent two hours trying to jump-start a truck with it in -25 temps near Fraser last winter, and only things that felt cold were my hands and feet. On winter hikes and skins, I put it on over everything during stops. Plus, the Denver retail store repaired a rip (I skied past an Englemann spruce and the spruce won) for free this spring. Keep an eye on the Web page; I got mine at less than half retail.

Postby JB99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:43 pm

BaronVonBergschrund wrote:
JB99 wrote:Thanks Baron. I remember seeing a youtube demo with Steve House and he had that on Nanga Parbat so it must be pretty warm...

You didn't use the correct modifier. It is Steve F**king House.

Ah, my mistake.

Postby wsharber » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Check out the Marmot Ama Dablam. Packs down to pretty much nothing (size of my Nalgene) and still plenty warm. It is a great jacket and so far it has been pretty durable. Fluffs right up after being stuffed for a while. 800 fill down.
"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

Postby JB99 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:55 pm

The Ama Dablam is nice but I'm looking for more of an expedition style jacket for big mountains than a layering piece.

Postby cheeseburglar » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:35 pm

JB99 wrote:The Ama Dablam is nice but I'm looking for more of an expedition style jacket for big mountains than a layering piece.

I'm not Steve f'ing House, so I can disagree with him. His pants system is all messed up. He should wear the white pants the entire trip. Changing clothes sucks and should be avoided.
I recommend a Marmot 8000m suit. Just cash out and buy it.
If you are strapped for cash or trying to save weight, buy it and skimp on your sleeping bag.
Down suit = easy peeing and sunrise/sunset watching.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

PreviousNext