Dog friendly 14ers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Dog friendly 14ers

Post by peter303 »

Missy_Goat wrote:We are looking at doing Holy Cross July 4th weekend, and I was wondering how the difficulty (dog ability wise) of Holy Cross would compare to say,
Holy cross is among the harder half of 14ers, especially if you do it in one day. The approach has a sub-ridge cross coming and going, making it tiring if you do it all in one day. People often camp in one of the two valleys to break up the distance. Plus there is a fair amount of rock on the main summit.
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

peter303 wrote:
Missy_Goat wrote:We are looking at doing Holy Cross July 4th weekend, and I was wondering how the difficulty (dog ability wise) of Holy Cross would compare to say,
Holy cross is among the harder half of 14ers, especially if you do it in one day. The approach has a sub-ridge cross coming and going, making it tiring if you do it all in one day. People often camp in one of the two valleys to break up the distance. Plus there is a fair amount of rock on the main summit.

Thanks for the reply and we are camping. I have done quite a few harder class 2's, that is why I am wondering how it would compare to a few that I have mentioned because I know how to gauge their difficulty and my dogs ability. Like I mentioned, we are just trying to keep him happy and safe. In that respect, it is good to how a good knowledge base for what you are attempting to do, and info from experience is usually the best information.

Thanks again!
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
Reyven
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reyven »

I've done Gray's, Torrey's, Elbert, and Shavano with both of our huskies.
Jaekn
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Jaekn »

I think It depends on the dog's breed and weight. Medium size dogs tend to do well when they're young, though it also depends on the individual dog.

I would think the best thing you could do was try hiking with the dogs on shorter trails and see how they do. Not a bad excuse for another hike.

I used to scramble with my lab/dalmation mix Cain, and he was a really strong climber. Its amazing to see dogs problem solve on routes.

Also, I have no problem with seeing dogs on the trail, leashed or not. Completely leashed dogs are never truly free. Then again, I wouldn't want to be attacked by an unleashed dog.. I used a long retractable leash some of the time but never did a 14er with the him.
Trail Doc
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Trail Doc »

I have a small dog, an 18 pound Jack Russel, and he is an awesome hiker.
I agree with the use of foot protection, especially above timberline, because you may not notice until after long that your dogs feet are bleeding. Also, don't trust the boots completely, as they are not engineered with the care of human footwear (and they still manage to hurt me). My dog does get altitude sick, and I think in part because he wears himself out, running up and back the trail while I plod my way up. To prevent this, I keep him on leash on the way up, and this will prevent him from going 20 miles while I hike only 8. On the way down, I will judiciously take him off lead.
And I like to see dogs in the outdoors. Even if they sniff my crotch. It's better than making labored small talk with a person who does not have a dog.
If I wanted a sport with rules, I'd be playing golf.
phughes03
14ers: 34 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phughes03 »

Dogs love the outdoors and dogs love to hike.
Train your dog with shorter hikes and see how he/she does. Love your dogs and spoil them anytime you can!
I love seeing dogs on the mountains!
Missy_Goat
14ers: 18 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Missy_Goat »

phughes03 wrote:Dogs love the outdoors and dogs love to hike.
Train your dog with shorter hikes and see how he/she does. Love your dogs and spoil them anytime you can!
I love seeing dogs on the mountains!
Ditto!! I take mine when I can....however it seems I have fallen in love with a not so mountain savvy breed. Although, for a great dane he has four 14ers under his belt, and is now officially "retired" at age 5. Not too shabby! \:D/
It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves - Edmund Hillary
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Dogs are like humans. They have to be taught to do things such as climbing and hiking just like being taught to be potty trained. Research the easiest and peaks for humans and take your dog on those. Start them off small and get bigger and harder as you go along. Just like humans, some dogs will be better than others at the whole thing. You will always get someone telling you not to take them under a year old because they can damage their ligaments and such but the main rule of thumb is start them small. Not to be too mean but if you have to ask this question, then you probably don't have too much 14er experience either so you should probably start small as well and build on that experience. Bring Booties as a minimum and be prepared to carry your pet out if they get injured and take responsibility if they kick rocks down on people.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

In all fairness though... I think I used to ask similar questions when I first started taking my dog up peaks. I believe his first was Sherman.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Post by JB99 »

Handies was perfect for our pup on his first 14er, http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure he was only five months at the time.
vaughantimothy
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vaughantimothy »

I'm sure your dog will be fine I have taken my black lab up 10 14ers so far. Elbert, Lincoln, Antero, Shavano, Princeton, Yale, Bross, Tabeguache, Democrat, and Cameron.

I was thinking of doing Blanca and Ellingwood Point and I was wondering if a dog could make it up the two???
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JLOHARA »

My dog hiked up Blanca and Ellingwood on Saturday. She did fine but the distance was too much for her. We hiked up Lake Como road from about 8500 ft in elevation. Total round trip was about 15+ miles. She is a 3year old Border Collie, with tough pads due to our running habit weekly on concrete. Just too long of a distance.

Jodi