Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

cannister stoves in winter/high altitude

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: cannister stoves in winter/high altitude

Postby Dex » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

winmag4582001 wrote:My Jetboil works great in the summer. BUT, sucks at altitude in the cold. Warm the fuel inside your jacket and definately carry a reliable fire source because the striker just doesnt light the fuel well at altitude and not at all in the cold.
Here's a video at about 12,500' by Bancroft.
http://www.youtube.com/user/winmag4582001#p/a/u/2/eLxXyu-2Z4w

Piezo ignition doesn't work above a certain altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_ignition
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:40 pm

that soto micro regulator stove is on my christmas list. i can't wait to try it out

Postby gb » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 pm

Derek wrote:
CO Native wrote:Fuels like Snow Peak Giga Power.....

I used this last week with my stove for melting snow, temps were around 0 degrees and it worked quite well. Melted probably 6-7 liters total on the trip.

This was probably the coldest I've used it, but its worked fine for me every other time melting snow too. Am I to gather that this is rarity and usually they dont work well or something?

--D

Nope. I've used my snowpeak on many an occasion without issues. Not even sure why I still have my whisperlite.

Postby Scott P » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:00 pm

I do maintain the whisper lite. It wasnt pressurizing and I was using white gas.

Usually you need to replace the o-rings at a minimum or the pump entirely when that happens. The O-rings do fail after a while, but are meant to be easily replaced.

What year Whisperlite is it by chance? My Whisperlight doesn't work that great in the really cold weather, but it's a older model. The oil and leather o-rings freeze up, but I hear that the new models are much better. I think mine is from 1996. I haven't used it for several years now, but keep it since it's a really good one to take overseas (I also have an XKG).

We also have the powermax fuel in a local ]bike shop so ill have to stock up on that.

It works awesome in cold weather, but make sure you have the right stove for it (only a few stoves take it). If you leave the cannister out all night in winter, it will still fire right up in the morning (performs flawless at least down to -23F). I bought a 10 year supply when I heard it was going to be phased out. :(
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby winmag4582001 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Dex wrote:
winmag4582001 wrote:My Jetboil works great in the summer. BUT, sucks at altitude in the cold. Warm the fuel inside your jacket and definately carry a reliable fire source because the striker just doesnt light the fuel well at altitude and not at all in the cold.
Here's a video at about 12,500' by Bancroft.
http://www.youtube.com/user/winmag4582001#p/a/u/2/eLxXyu-2Z4w

Piezo ignition doesn't work above a certain altitude.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezo_ignition

I did not know that. Now I feel like an ass for getting so mad at my jetboil. I even wasted money on a new striker. :oops:
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby Bean » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:07 pm

live4pc wrote:A MSR whisperlite sucks if using anything smaller than 33oz fuel bottle in my experience.

Yeah, they're just kind of annoying in general. Big, bulky, heavy, blah. But they keep going regardless of the cold or altitude. My Dragonfly has been sitting in the back of a closet for a year because I haven't had a situation where I need to use it. I'd rather haul in a burrito for dinner, filter water, and have mountain dew and snickers for breakfast than bring a big bulky stove. Hopefully I'll get a multi-night trip in this year where the Dragonfly could be put to good use.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:09 pm

so why is this Soto Micro Regulator an award winner and considered so great? It has a piezo ignitor.

Postby CO Native » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:32 am

The only thing the Soto does different is automatically open the valve wider when the pressure inside the canister drops, which is normal during use of a canister as vaporization lowers the temperature of the fuel. It does not actually make the stove more capable of handling the cold. Once the fuel gets too cold to vaporize you're still stuck.

The reason the jetboil helios can handle colder temperatures better is that it inverts the canister. This allows liquid fuel to enter the fuel line, get pre-heated at the burner, and then vaporize away from the canister.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby forbins_mtn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:54 am

thanks CO Native - can always count on you to bring the answer. How about altitude? I really don't see me needing a high altitude, extreme low temp stove....but still: whats the best option?

Postby Dex » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:58 am

forbins_mtn wrote:thanks CO Native - can always count on you to bring the answer. How about altitude? I really don't see me needing a high altitude, extreme low temp stove....but still: whats the best option?

I'd suggest you compare the price of the Soto with the other canister stove you might buy. The Soto at $70 possibly $56 with a 20% REI discount is in the range of other stoves.

The soto gets very good reviews on REI

http://www.rei.com/product/785338/soto-od-1r-micro-regulator-stove?preferredSku=7853380017?cm_mmc&mr:trackingCode=ED40B1FE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I have the Burton Raptor also that I bought before the I got the Soto. It is bullet proof but does not get a lot of respect. You can find them in the $30s.

http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_gear_review_brunton_raptor_stove/gear/13147
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby Johnson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:14 am

Dex wrote:I'd suggest you compare the price of the Soto with the other canister stove you might buy. The Soto at $70 possibly $56 with a 20% REI discount is in the range of other stoves.

The soto gets very good reviews on REI

http://www.rei.com/product/785338/soto-od-1r-micro-regulator-stove?preferredSku=7853380017?cm_mmc&mr:trackingCode=ED40B1FE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I tried the Soto and was real excited to use it but last December on our Uncompahgre trip I saw first hand how it compared to the standard Jetboil..... the Jetboil killed my Soto. I ended up returning it and got the Jetboil Sol.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby Scott P » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 am

How about altitude?

Assuming temperature wasn't a factor, cannister stoves work better at high altitude. This is because there is a greater pressure difference between the canister and the outside air (I assume that everyone's seen what happens to a bag of potato chips or Doritoes on top of a 14er). It's not the altitude that gets canister stoves; it's the temperature (which of course is usually lower at high altitudes).
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

PreviousNext