Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Jacket Fit

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Jacket Fit

Postby Trudger » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 pm

6'6", 200, 36 inch sleeve dress shirts.

Like one prior poster said, First Ascent offers their gear in tall sizes. I wear their Large Tall when it comes to their shells or down items. For some reason, I needed to go up to XL Tall for a fleece. Been very happy with their tall-sized gear. It's easy to return if it doesn't work out - we take our returns to the Eddie Bauer store at Colorado Mills.

Their tall sizes seem to stay in stock, as well. I was able to place my huge order on the last day of their last progressive sale (discounts grew as the sale went on) - all 40% off. I think that sale was last November. If you're on Twitter, @FirstAscent has sale announcements.

Postby ledhead69 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, I returned TNF and am trying an XL "slim fit" Patagonia down sweater. Hopefully that will do the trick! Its frustrating when you don't have an outfitter store within 300 miles.

Thanks again,

-Joe

Postby tornado » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Looks like EB and Beyond Clothing are the two best options but I have my heart set on a certain Patagonia jacket. If they run big I might be able to utilize an XL and fit into it, I guess. EB is ruled out since almost all of their winter stuff is made with down and Beyond Clothing looks kind of bland to me. I'm 6'6" and a little over 200lbs so hopefully it works out.

Postby SurfNTurf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 pm

tornado wrote:Looks like EB and Beyond Clothing are the two best options but I have my heart set on a certain Patagonia jacket. If they run big I might be able to utilize an XL and fit into it, I guess. EB is ruled out since almost all of their winter stuff is made with down and Beyond Clothing looks kind of bland to me. I'm 6'6" and a little over 200lbs so hopefully it works out.

EB is running a 30-percent off sale for everything First Ascent through Black Friday, at least at the Park Meadows location.

They have plenty of synthetic options. The Igniter has been my winter puffy for going on three seasons (+Rainier) now, and I love it.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby tornado » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:05 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:
EB is running a 30-percent off sale for everything First Ascent through Black Friday, at least at the Park Meadows location.

They have plenty of synthetic options. The Igniter has been my winter puffy for going on three seasons (+Rainier) now, and I love it.

Thanks for the help. I looked again at First Ascent after your post and the Igniter caught my eye right away so I'm strongly considering going for it. It's not 30% online but is still a good deal compared to other brands. Thanks again.

Postby randalmartin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:01 pm

tornado wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:

Thanks for the help. I looked again at First Ascent after your post and the Igniter caught my eye right away so I'm strongly considering going for it. It's not 30% online but is still a good deal compared to other brands. Thanks again.

+1 on the FA Igniter as a winter puffy to throw over your other layers on the summit. Hi collar and adjustable hood are my favorite options. Just note that it is only 100g of Primaloft so not super warm.

Postby MuchosPixels » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:05 pm

ledhead69 wrote:Hey y'all,

I recently took advantage of the a sweet sale on Backcountry, and got a long overdue insulated jacket. It arrived yesterday and renewed my frustration with getting jackets that never fit quite right. If I get a Large, the sleeves stop around my forearms, if I get an Extra Large, I can fit a few people along with me in the jacket.

So for you tall, lanky guys with long arms out there, have you found a solution to this problem? Is there a company out there that makes more precise sizes like you can get with dress shirts (Large, Tall)? Or a make that generally has longer arms than others? Maybe I just need to get really fat...

Thanks for your help.

-Joe

I am 6-3 and my weight goes from 175 to 195 depending on how much I train. I always use a Large but some garments are cut with longer sleeves and longer torso. Even within the same brand some models are way longer than others. Eddie Bauer has Large Long which fits great but their large fits me well also in the few items I have tried. Montbell tends to run quite short. At least that was my experience. I love the fit of Arcteryx specially the Venta MX jacket and their Atom LT and SV. I also have Rab's stretch neo and the sleeves are nice and long but its at the limit in torso length for me so if you are taller it wont fit well.

I had the igniter and its a bomber outer layer. It goes over everything well and its warmer than it looks. Stops the wind and offers warmth down to the teens with two underlayers.

Postby nyker » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am

I'd second those names: Arc'teryx, First Ascent and Patagonia: While I have the opposite problem, needing shorter stuff, those names are always tighter on me than the size would seem, so it would make sense of a more slim cut in the XL size. Some makers also make slim fit or alpine fit which I've found lets me up one size, while not being a true full size up.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm 6'4" 180# and quickly becoming a fan of golite products. It seems the XL fits very well compared to most brands that I have.

Postby MuchosPixels » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I agree that Patagonia jackets have a mostly boxy fit. Ive tried quite a few different models.

Previous