Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Post by larkinrx2 »

i so far have done nothing. (wrangler with 30" tires)

most of the TH that i have parked at i would think the marmots would be higher up closer to tree line and havent seen any porky pigs bothering the TH either.
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:Has anybody had experience with coyote urine or moth balls?
Yes, and they both taste HORRIBLE! :oops:

IIRC, the urine comes down to diet, herbivore versus carnivore. The H's that learned to recognize C's urine smell got out of the area and were able to pass on their genes.

Hence, just eat a lot of meat*, drink a lot of water, and when it comes time to make camp "the solution" will be readily at hand.

* But not bacon, because nothing can resist it. Even vegans have to have fakin' bacon. :mrgreen: If you have to have bacon, mark someone else's camp that's at least 100' away. :twisted:
susanjoypaul wrote:I got mine at Rick's Nursery in Colorado Springs, and it works great. It *is* liquid, not powdered. Tip: Don't open it in the living room to "see what it smells like." I know someone who did :wft: :D
Remind me of this before you start passing around your bottle at the next gathering's campfire.

"That is absolutely the WORST IPA I have EVER had!"
Papillon wrote:I didn't have any issues last time I was in Chi Basin but the goats were pretty friendly. Maybe I got lucky.
Just how "lucky" DID you get with the goats??? :wft: Too much IPA to remember for sure? :twisted:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

Here is my secret. Wrap several moth balls in a bounce sheet (non scented) and tie with a bread tie or rubber band and place near each tire (hidden from view). This will keep varmints away.

Do NOT forget the 4 varmint "bags" when you leave!!!!!

SJ Ron :)
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I don't understand, do marmots like to chew on vehicles at 14er trailheads? I've never heard of this before
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Trotter wrote:I don't understand, do marmots like to chew on vehicles at 14er trailheads? I've never heard of this before
The porcupines do.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
JeremiahG
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremiahG »

Man....a lot of work to camp in Colorado. Guess I need to get some moth balls for the parking area near the bells.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Here in the People's Republic of Chicago, we have a plague of rats. Some recently took up residence in my finely sculpted back yard. Before I go Carl Spackler on them, someone suggest using wolf urine around the perimeter of my property, and on rags stuffed into their holes. Can anyone corroborate this advice?
please rotate your device
JeremiahG
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JeremiahG »

It needs to be self extricated wolf urine though. Trust me, the rats know the difference.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

JeremiahG wrote:It needs to be self extricated wolf urine though. Trust me, the rats know the difference.
Seriously?

f***ing rats are really smart.
please rotate your device
Air Squared
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Air Squared »

Trotter wrote:I don't understand, do marmots like to chew on vehicles at 14er trailheads? I've never heard of this before
Me either!!

Do they chew on tires, or somehow work themselves into the cab to make a mess??
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Air Squared wrote:
Me either!!

Do they chew on tires, or somehow work themselves into the cab to make a mess??
Cables and whatnot under the car - coolant and brake lines are probably the biggest worry.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

San Juan Ron wrote:Here is my secret. Wrap several moth balls in a bounce sheet (non scented) and tie with a bread tie or rubber band and place near each tire (hidden from view). This will keep varmints away.

Do NOT forget the 4 varmint "bags" when you leave!!!!!

SJ Ron :)
Does this really work? My car is gonna be parked at Purgatory TH for several days while we backpack in to Chi Basin and I wanted to leave something under it just in case.
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron