Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Post by susanjoypaul »

SkiBikeClimb99 wrote:Unfortunately for the life of me I can't seem to find "liquid" coyote urine around Denver. Bass Pro wasn't much help. I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse and they had every other type of urine you can imagine, just not coyote.
Is it really that hard to find? Maybe Bill could buy up a case, relabel it, and sell it here. "Bill's Anti-Marmot Piss - available only on 14ers.com!" The graphic might include a 14ers.com logo... or a belly-up marmot with Xes for eyes... or a winking Wile E. Coyote squeezing off a few drops. Never mind. That's a terrible idea. :-#
Crusty
14ers: 55 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crusty »

If you put moth urine on coyote balls they'll holler so much that no other critters will come around.
course you won't sleep much either.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

Anybody use the aerosol coyote stuff? They have it at Bass Pro.

I didn't have any issues last time I was in Chi Basin but the goats were pretty friendly. Maybe I got lucky.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Real life review from Amazon.com. I almost lost my dinner reading this.

http://www.amazon.com/Deerbusters-Coyot ... yote+urine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By viktor_57 "viktor_57" (Fairview, Your Favorite State, USA) - See all my reviews

I am not sure why this product is advertised as a "lure", since it is obviously meant to repel deer and other creatures wary of coyotes. I myself do not have deer problems, living in a Manhattan condo, but I do have a rather willful Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Sir Winston who aggravates me to no end with his aggressive behavior, incessant barking, and refusal to obey my commands. Quite simply, I just don't get no respect from him. I have tried discipline, bribery, psychotherapy, and even physical restraints, but nothing works. After Sir Winston chewed up and peed on my $1200 Amedeo Testoni loafers, I knew I had to get serious.

The coyote urine smelled no different from the hundreds of other urine I have smelled. Perhaps I was expecting something gamier or muskier than your average urine. For a moment I was afraid that someone might have simply urinated into the container, trying to pass it off as coyote urine. Brushing my doubts aside, I went to the bathroom, removed my shirt, and then liberally applied the coyote urine to my body--under my chin, on my torso, rubbing it into my arms--until I fairly reeked of the pungent odor. I stepped out of the bathroom and called to Sir Winston. Not surprisingly, nothing happened. I went to search for him and found him in the kitchen, peeing on my Cuisinart. The moment I came in, however, his body seemed to tense, and he turned around quickly, whimpered, scrambled off the counter and ran to the living room to hide under the sofa. I followed him to the sofa, got down on my hands and knees, and called to Sir Winston. He responded with a high-pitched whine. You can imagine how powerful and in-charge I felt.

"Sir Winston!" I yelled, "Come out now and face your master!" Sir Winston crawled out, crouching low, and looked up at me with humility and fear. "I am top dog now, and you will obey me!" Sir Winston actually seemed to nod his head--quite a change from his usual response of biting my ankle. "Go now to your room and repent your past disobedience!" I yelled, and then, for good measure, I flexed my chest and arms and growled, "ARRRRGGGHHH!!!" Sir Winston bolted to his room as if the very Devil himself were chasing him.

My success with Sir Winston has led to my wearing coyote urine all the time and growling whenever anyone crosses me. The other junior partners at the firm where I work have developed a new respect for me, and even the senior partners have begun to give me a wide berth. I am now experimenting with other predator urine, including wolf and bear, but coyote remains my favorite.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good. It's quite pungent. It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
packratt
14ers: 28 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by packratt »

Kind of makes you wonder who has the job of collecting the coyote urine...
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

I'll be hiking in the San Juans in a few weeks and have seen several threads discussing methods for preventing marmots & porcupines from chewing on one's vehicle. Each method seems to have its supporters (and its pros & cons), but no clear consensus. I was wondering if anyone had recent experiences/advice they could share regarding the effectiveness of these methods. I also had a few specific questions:

- Coyote pee (liquid): Is it effective if you just squirt it on the ground underneath (and/or around) your vehicle? How much is enough? The bottle label suggests placing rags or "scent tags" to create a perimeter, but I was hoping to avoid what some might assume is going to end up as litter.

- Moth balls: I wouldn't want to just spread them on the ground, out of environmental concerns. Is it effective to make little mesh bags filled with moth balls to hang from your vehicle or place under your tires, etc.? Or are there concerns there?

- Chicken wire: Sounds effective but cumbersome. Am I likely to see a lot of people at the TH doing this? Hate to be the only one without :wink:

Thanks in advance for the input!
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Moraine14 wrote:Moth balls: I wouldn't want to just spread them on the ground, out of environmental concerns. Is it effective to make little mesh bags filled with moth balls to hang from your vehicle or place under your tires, etc.? Or are there concerns there?
If you put the mothballs in the air intakes for your car, it will keep the interior of your car free of porcupines and moths.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

They should put this stuff on Bross, that will keep climbers away.
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

highpilgrim wrote:If you put the mothballs in the air intakes for your car, it will keep the interior of your car free of porcupines and moths.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37682
Yeah, I saw that one. Guess I should have said "...environmental and other concerns."

And I forgot a 4th option:

- Do nothing. How many people just don't worry about it and never have a problem?
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

A friend of mine tried both coyote balls and moth urine, but neither worked.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I use a combination of chicken wire, held down with rebar, and rodent repellent (the stuff that smells like mothballs). Determined critters can get under the chicken wire (one local said he saw a marmot trapped under chicken wire), but the repellent would seem to discourage them from spending much time trying to sneak under, and having the chicken wire forces them to endure the smell longer. The repellent by itself they'd just scoot by if the scent of brake fluid is more appealing, plus it can wash off with rain.

Or just bring a pet coyote.