Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Has anybody had experience with coyote urine or moth balls? I'm starting to UL tarp camp and would like to find a relatively light way to keep the critters out of the "tent". I've found a few posts where folks recommended coyote urine and others moth balls. Unfortunately for the life of me I can't seem to find "liquid" coyote urine around Denver. Bass Pro wasn't much help. I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse and they had every other type of urine you can imagine, just not coyote. Before I order some from Amazon.com I wanted to check if it's really worth it. My fiance is kinda pissed that for the last few days I've been obsessing over coyote piss, but what the hell. Help me put this to bed. Thanks in advance!
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Coyote urine vs. moth balls

Post by unclegar »

I have used coyote urine in the past and never had a problem when I used it. I recently went to the Bells so I went all over looking for coyote urine but also did not find it. I guess it may be a seasonal thing. Anyway, I took the advice of SanJuanRon who I believe works in the area of Grizzly Gulch (which is known for porcupines) and I used moth ball crystals and had no problem. Critter Ridder did not work for my climbing partner's car. If it were me I would take the moth balls. Found the crystals at Walmart next to the ironing boards.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

I've had great success with coyote urine on backpacking trips. I bought my first bottle at a garden shop/nursery. You might check there. It keeps deer out of your garden.
Namaste
Sue
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

I just started using coyote urine under my car... I haven't had any problems! But I didn't really have any problems before, so I can't say that it works. Mostly I do it to make my wife give me funny looks. I bought my coyote urine at Jack's in the hunting section.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Several years ago I had a racoon tearing up my freshly laid sod in my back yard near downtown Denver. I sprinkled coyote urine powder all over my back yard and the next night I waited. That thing could have cared less about the coyote urine, he went right to rolling up my sod. The following 2 nights of a crazy homeowner chasing it around the backyard with a broom finally convinced it not to come back. If anyone wants to stop by, PM me and I will give you the coyote urine powder.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

Surprised they didn't have any at Bass Pro. I have bought it there before. It works sometimes, but not always. I am still not convinced. PBR works in most cases.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iguru
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Iguru »

rickinco123 wrote:Several years ago I had a racoon tearing up my freshly laid sod in my back yard near downtown Denver. I sprinkled coyote urine powder all over my back yard and the next night I waited. That thing could have cared less about the coyote urine, he went right to rolling up my sod. The following 2 nights of a crazy homeowner chasing it around the backyard with a broom finally convinced it not to come back. If anyone wants to stop by, PM me and I will give you the coyote urine powder.

I am not positive about this, and I couldn't find any backing verification from manufacturers, but I think the urine powder needs to be sprinkled with water to "activate" it. If you sprinkled dry, and left it that way, that might explain why it didn't work. I used to have all sorts of critters (mice, Porkies, ground squirrels) invade my vehicle in Colorado until I sprayed pure concentrated coyote urine around my Jeep. No invasions since.
I gotta get me an Avatar.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I got mine at Rick's Nursery in Colorado Springs, and it works great. It *is* liquid, not powdered.

Tip: Don't open it in the living room to "see what it smells like." I know someone who did :wft: :D
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

I've had great success with liquid coyote urine, definitely works for marmots, seemed to work well for goats in chi basin as well. I get it at a garden shop in Castle Rock, the one next to Medved cars along I-25.
Wish I lived in CO
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Wish I lived in CO »

While we're at it, I know the old upper S. Colony TH parking area used to have problems, but how about the newer lower parking area - anyone have problems there?
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2
SkiBikeClimb99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkiBikeClimb99 »

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll try a few garden shops and see what I can find.

I haven't had a problem at the South Colony Lakes lower parking lot, but I've only spent one night up there (camped near the parking lot).
wushock316
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wushock316 »

I bought a pint off ebay for 15 bucks. Plan on using it for the first time in a few weeks in the chi basin. Lots of options, I bought some pee from meat fed coyotes. Not for sure if that makes a difference??