Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Garmin Fenix

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

The Garmin Fenix

Postby ThuChad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:17 pm

Has anyone looked at this watch? It should be coming out soon.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=447&pID=107272

After running into battery life issues with their other watches this looks like a solid watch for long multiple-day hikes where you are unable to charge it. Advertises 50 hours of battery life in GPS mode. Has built in Altimeter, Barometer and Compass. Looks pretty cool but is pretty pricey at $399. Still cheaper than a hand held unit. Anyone here do product testing for Garmin?
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Re: The Garmin Fenix

Postby nyker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Looks interesting..and the battery life, while not that of a normal sportswatch, seems a lot better than other GPS enabled watches...

Postby atalarico » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 am

This does look pretty hot. Looks like they're taking on the Ambit.

I don't product test for them but I work for an authorized Garmin retailer, so I can't wait to get my hands on this. I'm betting that they're not too far away from shrinking an eTrex down to a watch. Pretty neat direction to be heading in.

Postby ThuChad » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 am

atalarico wrote:This does look pretty hot. Looks like they're taking on the Ambit.

I don't product test for them but I work for an authorized Garmin retailer, so I can't wait to get my hands on this. I'm betting that they're not too far away from shrinking an eTrex down to a watch. Pretty neat direction to be heading in.

Ya, definitely cheaper than the Ambit. Make a post in this thread if you do happen to get your hands on it in the future and let me know what you think.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby twotyerfryer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:24 pm

A good friend of mine is an EE for Garmin in their fitness dept. here in Olathe. He worked on the Fenix. It's going to be pretty awesome. That's all I can say. :wink:

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:43 pm

I ended up getting a Fenix around Christmas and thought I'd share a few first impressions.

1. This watch is complicated. I've had a couple weeks now and I'm still trying to figure out how to use all the features. It's not a watch you can put on and immediately go use. It will take 3-4 uses per activity(hiking, running, cycling, etc) to figure out how you would like the pages to be displayed.

2. Although complicated, this watch has tons of cool features. Too many to name really.

3. This watch is fairly heavy for running. I find it uncomfortable on longer runs.

4. The map route tracking and trackback function is useful but pretty basic. There's an arrow and a line. I tried to load a topo map but it didn't seem to work and even if it did I don't think I'd be able to read it.

5. Battery life - I'm a little worried at this point about the battery life. I don't think it's going to get anywhere near the 50 hours advertised. This is pretty disappointing since it was one of the main attractions for me. On a 1 hour run the battery life went from 90% to 75%. I had the foot pod and HR Ant+ Sensors activated. Without these I'm sure I could prolong the battery life a little but losing 15% in an hour is not good.

Overall, I'm still on the fence with this watch. I will attempt my first 14er day hikes with it over MLK weekend so I'll update with how it performs. I've preloaded the routes for the mountains I'm going to hike so the GPS route tracking will definitely be tested further.

Pictured next to my Forerunner 210.

Postby twotyerfryer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:32 pm

ThuChad, I talked with my friend from Garmin last evening about the battery life issues you are having. He told me that Garmin had some difficulty getting complete documentation out in time on the Fenix but it can be found now on their web site. He said if you go to "system/gps" and set the gps to "Ultratrac", you will notice a significant difference in battery life. As you were using it, the gps was on all of the time which really cuts battery life. With UltraTrac, you can cut the sampling rate of the gps to one minute. If you aren't moving fast then the map displayed won't be affected too much. I guess if you really zoomed in then the map may appear more jagged. Then, I believe that if you go under the "tracks" setting and turn it to UltraTrac, you can set the sampling rate to whatever time you want (i.e. 1 minute and greater), which will save on memory, but won't make a difference on the battery. My friend said this was if you are on a really long track that may rob the memory by sampling constantly vs. the more infrequent sampling rate that again will make the map a little more jagged, or a lot more jagged, depending on how great the interval you set it to be.

If you haven't already, here is the link and quick start page. Click "download" on the Manual link and then just do a search for "Ultratrac" and you can find more info. Hope this makes sense and helps.
-Steve
http://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-01040-00&language=en&country=US