Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Two-Day Avy Course

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Two-Day Avy Course

Postby jblyth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am

Thinking about signing up for this Groupon, does anyone have experience with this company?

http://www.groupon.com/deals/apex-ex-4?utm_campaign=UserReferral&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu38051256

Re: Two-Day Avy Course

Postby Bean » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:34 am

I have no experience with that company, but the course does not appear to be an AIARE Level 1. It may be a fine course with good instructors but it could be an issue if you decide to take an AIARE Level 2 course in the future.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby jblyth » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

Bean wrote:I have no experience with that company, but the course does not appear to be an AIARE Level 1. It may be a fine course with good instructors but it could be an issue if you decide to take an AIARE Level 2 course in the future.

That is good to know. I'll call them to check, but if that's the case, I'll probably pass on it. Thanks Bean.

Postby jmc5040 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm

I came across the same Groupon and looked at it briefly. Let me know if you find out whether it follows the AIARE guidelines in curriculum as I have a friend who was looking into taking it. As far as the company goes, I took an intro to outdoor climbing course through APEX and had a good experience overall. The instructor went into more detail than what was to be covered in that particular course by our request and really tailored it to our experience levels.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby BenfromtheEast » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am

I just talked to Spencer on the phone with Apex Ex and here's what he said. This course is not AIARE certified because it's only two days on snow and an eight hour online session rather than three days on snow. So it does not meet the requirements for taking AIARE Level 2, but it sounds like it covers much of the same material at a similar level as Level 1. There's one spot left for January 12-13, and multiple spots open for January 26-27 and February 9-10 and 23-24. There will be more dates announced in March as the early sessions fill up. There's also a dorm style lodging option for $29/person on whatever Saturday night is in the middle of your course.

I'm considering this, although I'd probably also take AIARE Level 1 later on (maybe next winter) if/when I get a real job. Is anybody else interested?

...or maybe we should just wait a few years until all this solar cycle/global warming/high pressure dome nonsense clears out and we can get some real snow. Fifteen hours to make a decision!

Postby MonGoose » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

A few years ago I took Avy Level 1 with the Colorado Mountain School in Estes Park for a group price through the Outdoor Recreation Center at the School of Mines (I took one class that semester). I know a lot of you guys are in graduate school, so you might try talking to your school's outdoor program to see if they can arrange a similar deal.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Any education on the subject is valuable, but field days are more valuable than classroom hands down. I took my level I 10 years ago as a ski patroller in Tahoe, I learned a heck of a lot more that year following and being around experienced individuals throughout the winter. I think the most important thing about the AIARE level I requirements (a smart thing) is the time in the backcountry with an expert. Otherwise, just spend $20 on Amazon for a copy of Snow Sense and the Avalanche Handbook and study them carefully. That is where all the classroom stuff comes from.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com