Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

you tube blocking copywritten songs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

you tube blocking copywritten songs

Postby pvnisher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 pm

I created a video/trip report of a climb and uploaded it to YouTube. I used a commercial song as soundtrack.
YouTube blocked the video due to copyright infringement.
I'm not looking for ways to "get around" the claim, but I see lots of videos on there with copywritten song,s they just tend to have an iTunes ad or other advertising.
So how do I get my video (with the copywritten song) to be posted (with ads)?

Re: you tube blocking copywritten songs

Postby fleetmack » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 pm

once you either:
a) have a particular video get X amount of hits
b) prove that all your videos will tend to get X amount of hits...

.... then they will offer to put an ad on your video in exchange for income. Not sure why the ad would offset the fact that a copyrighted song is on the video, my guess is that is coincidence and those videos would be taken down if it were found out.
"Cynicism and ill-humored opinion have built a stronghold called the message board. Sweet mother of God, see a f***ing shrink, people."
--Corey Taylor

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but it is my understanding as to whether the song gets blocked or an ad inserted depends upon the copyright holder. Some companies see your video as a free advertising tool and allow it to stay there with the ads but not everyone shares this view and then there is country specific copyrights.

http://www.youtube.com/t/howto_copyright
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Also, how can I hike Culebra for free?
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby MonGoose » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:38 pm

My vague understanding of this issue is that it's up to the artist to decide if they're music can be used in YouTube videos. Some artists allow there songs to be used in exchange for the banner ad next to the video. Other artists don't allow there music to be used at all. If anyone has more details or a list of artists who allow use, please share.

Postby gb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Just use Vimeo. So much better anyway and they don't care what song you use.

Postby iceman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Haven't tried Vimeo. I usually just find older, more obscure music and its typically not blocked.

Postby Tortoise1 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

MonGoose wrote:My vague understanding of this issue is that it's up to the artist to decide if they're music can be used in YouTube videos. Some artists allow there songs to be used in exchange for the banner ad next to the video. Other artists don't allow there music to be used at all. If anyone has more details or a list of artists who allow use, please share.

There's an organization called Broadcast Music Inc, aka BMI, that handles such things. http://www.bmi.com/ Any artist can participate but of course participation is not required.

Broadcast Music Inc. is a famous U.S. Supreme Court antitrust case in 1979. http://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/441/1/case.html The court essentially ruled that horizontal price fixing can be lawful given the impracticality of contract and price negotiations between millions of artists and millions of music users, a legal principle that is still alive some 33 years later.

Postby afsdan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:12 pm

If you don't have the permission of the content owner, you shouldn't be using it. It's that simple. Too often, artists' work (many of whom are independent artists) are being appropriated for uses they don't want to be associated with; religion, politics, etc., so by definition, this should extend to totally radical vids of knife-edge traverses as well.