Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boots for winter 14'ers

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Boots for winter 14'ers

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:59 pm

Although I haven't been in extreme cold or extreme winds, I took Steve's advice and bought the Timberwolf last winter. It has kept my feet always warm and the times I've used strap-on crampons on them, I've had no issues.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Fletch wrote:Steve Gadblach sends out a copy of a previous post every year which details the winter boot question. Bill should post it to the site or something. It's a great answer to the question that seems to come up every Oct/Nov...

Steve, are you out there? :-D

Good point. There are more than a few posts that answer gear questions needing a sticky or some sort of permanent visible home. I know I and
many others on this site have typed the same advice repeatedly. I don't mind if I have the time, but it feels inefficient. Perhaps Bill has some ideas.

P.S. Don't skimp on footwear. It should be what you spend the most money on. They protect the bottoms of your "get away sticks". If I wasn't in ski boots in the winter I would be in one of Scarpa Phantom series boots. Those will ensure your toes make it and get you up most rock and ice in this state and most other things around the world. People that make a long term commitment to the mountains end up constantly upgrading boots until they end up with the boot they should have bought from the start. I bought a boot in the 90's that was over the top for my abilities and I couldn't afford. I still have and use them. My 2 cents.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby WillV » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm

dsunwall wrote:
WillV wrote:I'm a little surprised to see what was recommended here. IMHO some of the boots mentioned above are more for shoveling snow off your driveway.
Granted those Lhotse boots will last longer but one requirement for a lot of the winter 14ers are very long approaches. Comfort and light weight make all the difference for me. The salomons do kick steps just fine. If the snow is so hard they can't, on go the crampons, which work fine with them as well. The north face of Capitol, maybe not, but the knife edge, yes.

I've gotten to prefer the Nytro's myself, not rated quite as warm as the Toundra's, but I don't need toe warmers at zero degrees. They are a little more solid than the Toundra's I think. At 22oz per boot they are almost half the weight of the Lhotse.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/nytro-wp.html#bas

Those look pretty good. I will have to check them out for sure. Thanks for the recommendation.

Previous