Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Denver Pack Repair-Not Stitchlines?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Denver Pack Repair-Not Stitchlines?

Postby TomPierce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:43 pm

I need to have a tear repaired on my favorite pack. Nothing major, just a 2" tear on one of the tubes where I slot an ice tool (or hiking pole, in summer). Ordinarily I'd take it to Stitchlines here in Denver; I've been giving Phyllis G a steady stream of work for years and she does excellent work. But it's clear she's a one person show and the last few times I've taken something in it's a 4-5 week wait. Does anyone know of another good repair shop in the Denver metro area? I tried my nearby tailor shop but she wouldn't touch it. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Tom

Re: Denver Pack Repair-Not Stitchlines?

Postby Dave B » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Ripstop Repair in Boulder does a phenomenal job and is who many of the large manufacturers send their repairs to. The one caveat is that, although they claim to be set up to deal with the public, the owner supposedly doesn't exactly qualify as a "people person." There was an entire thread over on Mountain Project, that includes the owner of RR chiming in ("alley jim"). Kind of entertaining actually.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/ripstop-repairs-vs-boulder-mountain-repair/107579244__1

Anyways, I just had a Mont Bell puffy repaired through them. Took about 3 weeks and I was really happy with the repair. If this a route you are interested in taking it might be best to go through the manufacturer instead of dealing directly with RR.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lordhelmut » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Dave B wrote:Ripstop Repair in Boulder does a phenomenal job and is who many of the large manufacturers send their repairs to. The one caveat is that, although they claim to be set up to deal with the public, the owner supposedly doesn't exactly qualify as a "people person." There was an entire thread over on Mountain Project, that includes the owner of RR chiming in ("alley jim"). Kind of entertaining actually.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/ripstop-repairs-vs-boulder-mountain-repair/107579244__1

Anyways, I just had a Mont Bell puffy repaired through them. Took about 3 weeks and I was really happy with the repair. If this a route you are interested in taking it might be best to go through the manufacturer instead of dealing directly with RR.

Thanks for that MP link, forum wars always entertaining.

Postby Presto » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm

by lordhelmut ยป Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for that MP link, forum wars always entertaining.

No doubt ... that was some classic stuff indeed. =D> Gotta admire the guy for responding to every single comment. :wft:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Vids » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 pm

I took my hunting pack to a place in Parker that did a good job, I think it's called Magic Needle or something like that. Pretty far south of Denver Metro, but PM me if you want the specifics. It held up very well after it was done.

Postby TomPierce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Dave B wrote:If this a route you are interested in taking it might be best to go through the manufacturer instead of dealing directly with RR.

Thanks for the lead, Dave. Unfortunately the pack is made by Bergans of Norway (a Backcountry Guide 32L, a superb design fwiw), so I don't think sending to the manufacturer is a feasible option. But maybe they have a US repair shop.

Vids: I actually live in the south metro area (Englewood) so your lead may be a good one. I'll dig into that, thanks for the tip.

-Tom