Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Footwear Tariffs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Footwear Tariffs

Postby Alpineair » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:38 am

I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Re: Footwear Tariffs

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 pm

This makes me want to put my boot up someone's keister. But apparently I won't be able to afford to.

Unless Congress overturns the Obama administration's decision to oppose outdoor industry duty suspension bills...

Can't we ever just call a spade a spade?

Postby Jesse M » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:59 pm

Maybe we might start seeing more specialty footwear 'made in the USA'.

Postby XMULE » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Jesse M wrote:Maybe we might start seeing more specialty footwear 'made in the USA'.

Hear, hear!

"However, Neptune Mountaineering owner Gary Neptune said he would be "happy" for the cost of shoes to increase. He said the international tariffs could force specialty shoemakers to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

"He added that if shoes become more expensive, consumers will hold on to them longer, which means less waste.

"'If they have to keep (them) for a long time, that's better for the whole world,' Neptune said."
Se esmera, coracao
E confia
Na forca do amanha

Postby nyker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 pm

XMULE wrote:
Jesse M wrote:Maybe we might start seeing more specialty footwear 'made in the USA'.

Hear, hear!

"However, Neptune Mountaineering owner Gary Neptune said he would be "happy" for the cost of shoes to increase. He said the international tariffs could force specialty shoemakers to bring manufacturing back to the U.S.

"He added that if shoes become more expensive, consumers will hold on to them longer, which means less waste.

"'If they have to keep (them) for a long time, that's better for the whole world,' Neptune said."

To the point above...Sure, I am all for reducing waste...but how much waste does used footwear really account for relatively speaking with the other types of waste products? I also support increasing production in the U.S..but let's do it with better quality products where consumers choose U.S. made products over others due to their inherent quality not by punishing others for making a better mousetrap. Competition improves the breed. Obama must have learned this from his extensive business experience.

Also, to the point above.....and what about the foot problems/injuries associated with worn out shoes, uneven resoles? or climbing technical terrain with soles that have lost their grip and traction...hmmm. Save a few bucks from buying a new pair of shoes: slip and fall due to poor traction, break a leg/ankle, twist a knee which will cost a lot more than a new pair of boots....ruin your trip, (or fall and die) putting lives of others in danger if need to be rescued...hmmm. Any runner can tell you you should replace running shoes after 300-500 miles or else you're risking all sorts of leg problems from uneven or worn cushioning and soles, much less if you're climbing riskier terrain....

Postby CO Native » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 am

XMULE wrote:

Hear, hear!

I totally agree with this too. Usually the reason US manufacturers can't compete is because foreign manufactures aren't held to the same environmental standards or employment standards if they're held to any at all.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Alpineair » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:40 am

As much as we all would like it, I do not think that making specialty/technical footwear will ever come back to the US.
New Balance is the only shoe that I know of that is still made here, and I'm not totally sure about that anymore.
Perhaps we could lobby them to step into the market.
I'm not anti-social, I'm anti-stupid!

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

Alpineair wrote:As much as we all would like it, I do not think that making specialty/technical footwear will ever come back to the US.
New Balance is the only shoe that I know of that is still made here, and I'm not totally sure about that anymore.

All of my New Balance running shoes have the dreaded tag "Made In China".
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby pseudoghost » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Tory Wells wrote:
Alpineair wrote:As much as we all would like it, I do not think that making specialty/technical footwear will ever come back to the US.

All of my New Balance running shoes have the dreaded tag "Made In China".

I'm sure you would've been the first to complain about how expensive they were if they were made here instead. The public has spoken, cheaper now, is better (even if it costs more in the long run).

Postby pills2619 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm a Democrat but this is kinda the type of thing that makes people hate the government. A global market is a global market and no tariff can change that but it sure as hell can make it inefficient. All I see coming of this is a mess of things that really should have been left on the table as a nice idea but realistically impractical.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook

Postby Jesse M » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 pm

This is an interesting topic.
Who doesn't like low price gear, especially the all important footwear.
I can't help but ask:
1. At what cost does this lower priced footwear come at?
2. Would La Sportiva have found it profitable enough to open up manufacturing in America, instead of Vietnam or China?
3. What percentage of La Sportiva sales are to Americans, compared to Vietnamese and Chinese customers?

Nyker, you make some good points. The 'better mousetrap' argument is flawed. It is not a better mousetrap but a cheaper mousetrap.