Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bushwhacking Outerwear

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Bushwhacking Outerwear

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I recently noticed that my nanopuff had many holes, most likely from bushwhacking and going through deadfall. It has been my go-to outer layer on most hikes throughout the year because it is light and warm enough with other layers. Frankly, on most occasions I'd prefer not carrying a hard shell just for bushwhacking for 1-2 miles of the entire hike. What do you all generally use while bushwhacking or going through messy deadfall?

Any techniques to prevent tear other than being 'super careful'?
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Re: Bushwhacking Outerwear

Postby Mindy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40 pm

I can help you fix those tears, as I too just shredded my puffy vest on rock. I discovered this:

http://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape

and can report it does the trick! It comes in rolls or patches.

I have also read others put on cheap sweatshirts over puffys to prevent tearing...

Postby geojed » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:52 pm

This is what I prefer to wear/use. Comes in very handy in the willows. It doesn't really obey LNT principles but I consider that a feature not a bug.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby B[3] » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:03 pm

This is what I prefer to wear/use. Comes in very handy in the willows. It doesn't really obey LNT principles but I consider that a feature not a bug.

Might be a bit cumbersome for daily use--maybe save it for those occasions of extreme willowing (ie near Twin Lakes in the Weminuche). :lol:
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby TravelingMatt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm

The willows aren't there. Keep repeating, there are no willows there are no willows there are no willows and I promise you they'll disappear.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby Presto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm

by TravelingMatt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:17 pm
... Keep repeating, there are no willows there are no willows there are no willows ...

And then click the heels of your little red shoes .... :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby dsunwall » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm

anything besides a nanopuff would be better. down is only for camp or belaying.

Postby EatinHardtack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah that D8 in geojed's pic would take care of willows, trees, rocks, houses, etc. Although with a heated cab you wouldn't need a nanopuff.

Anything is better than down for bushwhacking.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Postby Kiefer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Dwight is spot on. DON'T wear your nano-puff or any down when bushwhacking. As you discovered, you'll rip it to shreds.
I just came off Christ Mountain, Pt. 7725 and Pt. 7420 earlier today...bushwhacking the whole way cross country. I had a mont-bell puffy with me
but never broke it out of my pack. Kept warm enough simply by keeping on the move.
I wear heavy hiking boots, jeans (Denim) and something long-sleeve (NOT fleece). If you absolutely need an outer layer, bring
a softshell. Wear clothing that will be somewhat durable, punture or scratch/snag resistant.

Actually, I've been wearing a lot more denim lately. It gets a bad rap but I've always been rather comfy in it.

Edit: After reading your post, I'm assuming you mean more low-altitude stuff?
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby ChrisRoberts » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:00 pm

I wear shorts and a hoodie.
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Ramsay, Sugarloaf and Skull

Postby Derek » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 pm

dsunwall wrote:anything besides a nanopuff would be better. down is only for camp or belaying.

Yup. Down stays in the pack for bushwhacks. I made a dumb decision a couple weeks ago to drop my pack and wear my down for the final 30' to a summit. Even the small scramble to the summit caused a tear. If you really want to wear the puff, maybe a cheap shell to go over it. But that would probably just add to the overheating...

Best option would probably be to leave the down in the pack for bushwhack sections of a hike, then put it back on when the coast is clear.

--D

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 pm

dsunwall wrote: down is only for camp or belaying.

Not always. Big peaks require big jackets unfortunately. But I agree that if one is bushwacking (which means sub-treeline), down is not a necessary garment. When I get cold on the move, I like to use a technique called "speed the heck up". If out hunting and moving slower some Filson, Carhartt, or Walmart gear over my more expensive clothing does the protection job.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com