Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

backpack capacity

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: backpack capacity

Postby herdbull » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:00 pm

this is a tough one to answer because everyone is different. I myself would go with the smaller 40L or maybe an Osprey Kestral 38 for an overnighter or extended weekend. I love the Osprey packs. I pack light, don't take a lot of unnecessary gear and I am a small guy so all my gear/clothes is much smaller than most peoples.

I'm sort of gram weinie too and have gone ultralight on a lot of my gear which helps. If you like to have all sorts of extras and comforts than I don't think a 40L would get you by or if it did it would be stuffed to the gills.

Heck, just throw all you gear in a duffel and go to the nearest gear shop and start stuffin :-D . You'll find out in a hurry what will work and what won't.

For extended hikes, winter gear (think bigger/bulkier) or where more gear is needed I went with an Osprey Aether 85. Kinda big but will easily handle all of my stuff. If that's too small then..... #-o time to start over.

To give you an idea of how I travel my current "14er" day pack is an Osprey Raptor 10. It will handle a helmet, ice axe, all my clothes, food, water, stove...... for a day hike.

Good luck, new gear is fun :-D

Postby ed20320 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:34 pm

I use a Osprey Kestrel 58 as my go to pack for the summer. i've had it on 5 days trips and i do fine with it. before i bought that pack, i realized that the gear that i carried wasn't necessarily heavy, but some of it was bulky. I ditched a bigger fleece jacket for a more compressible down one (for example). I picked up some other gear that was smaller than what i used to carry. reducing some of the bulk allowed me to comfortably use a 58L for extended trips without cutting any corners. If i planned my food right, i could probably push it to 6 days. My 70L pack is now my winter pack.

take Herdbulls advice and pack up your typical load, head to REI and see if it fits. that will tell you volumes.

Good luck
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”

Postby nyker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Yea, It depends on a few things, not the least of which is how big you are - i.e. normal packing gear for two different people could take up very different volumes. Also, are you someone who likes to travel ultralight or like to have more comforts with you?

For anything from an overnighter to a few days carrying a normal full size 1-2p tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, stove/fuel, bottles, clothes and food, SLR and some extras, I can get by with a Atmos 65L no problem.

Others here who use a tarp or no tent and lighter bag/bivy sack can probably fit that in a 40-45-L pack all things equal. If you are going super light bringing no extra clothes and minimal food, you can get by with smaller, but why risk it. My 65L pack weighs equal to or less than two of my 40L packs.

For winter, add a few L to this since you will have a burlier tent, extra pad, clothes, etc

When I did a 9 day backpack trip in Patagonia (read: wet clothes requiring extra clothes!), the Aether 85L worked well, though looking back, I might be able to get that down a bit smaller now.