Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

DIY backcountry bombing

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: DIY backcountry bombing

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 am

If you do follow through with this hypothetical endeavor, please post on this thread the time, date and locations of the places you plan on bombing.

Postby Hacksaw » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:03 pm

The ATF along with a few other govermental orgaizations have a dim view of recreational explosive usage...
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:04 pm

lordhelmut wrote:If you do follow through with this hypothetical endeavor, please post on this thread the time, date and locations of the places you plan on bombing.

Lol - absolutely!

Postby jdorje » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:54 pm

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:If you do follow through with this hypothetical endeavor, please post on this thread the time, date and locations of the places you plan on bombing.

Lol - absolutely!

Yes, I want to watch from below!

Edit: my immediate reaction was to think of "Independence Day" and (even more relevant) "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".
Last edited by jdorje on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby cheeseburglar » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:02 pm

A facebook friend of mine, someone I probably wouldn't recognize if I saw them at a bar, posted a photo of a guy dressed in snow camo pointing an AR-15 at a propane tank hung from a cornice above a nice steep slope somewhere in AK.
The photo wasn't up for long, I assume they took it down to avoid law enforcement issues.
I never saw a photo of what happened, much to my dismay.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes

Postby its_not_a_tuba » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:19 pm

jdorje wrote:
BillMiddlebrook wrote:

Lol - absolutely!

Yes, I want to watch from below!

You mean from below, and well off to the side.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson

Postby planet54 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:59 pm

Have a blast. But don't bite off more than you can chew.

"The world is a great book,of which they that never stir from home read only a page." St. Augustine
"Climbing K2 or floating the Grand Canyon in an innertube;there are some things one would rather have done than do." Edward Abbey

Postby midwestcoast » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:27 pm

^^damn that was a big avy. Looks like a million-times-fast-forward video of a glacier moving at the end.

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:55 pm

cutting a rather large cornice will yield much better results than explosions and you don't have to worry about it being legal either :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Hacksaw » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

ajkagy wrote:cutting a rather large cornice will yield much better results than explosions and you don't have to worry about it being legal either :)

But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:04 pm

ajkagy wrote:cutting a rather large cornice will yield much better results than explosions and you don't have to worry about it being legal either :)

This product works well. We tested it a few years ago. I highly suggest belaying the cutter(s).

http://www.backcountrybomb.com/
Last edited by RoanMtnMan on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Hacksaw wrote:But, you still don't want to drop one and cause a bigger avalanche then you thought would happen. Are you really sure everyone below is out of the way???

If this really concerns you, which it should, there is an easy solution. Go farther into the backcountry. I would venture that 95%+ of winter backcountry users are within 5 miles of a road.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

PreviousNext