Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Hiking Needs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Dex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 am

Scott P wrote:
Has anyone constructed their own Nalgene insulator sleeve? It seems like throwing it in a sock with a hand warmer would work for most situations but surely someone has gotten a little craftier than that.

It may work on some days, but I'd guess it wouldn't work at all on a cold day (and some days are in the -30's in the mountains). I've had Nalgenes freeze while wrapped in a seperate down coat while also tucked inside the down coat I was wearing. An insulated thermos is the way to go on those cold days.

Here is a little experiement at around 0F.

http://www.summitpost.org/cold-weather-test-for-water-bottles/346816

Maybe we need movement to keep the water from freezing!

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=515414

====

If we asked the question at the physics forums; would we understand the answer?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby chrismjx » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Djslais wrote:hey chris, did you make it to RMNP? If so, how were the conditions?

Alright, made it up there today, not quite all the way to the Loch, but close. Beautiful day for being out hiking! :-D The trail is in pretty darn good shape and has obviously seen a lot of traffic. It's packed snow the whole way, although the packed area gets much narrower as you get higher up. We brought gaiters and microspikes, and definitely didn't need them at all, but it was nice to have them. We saw people in everything from street clothes and leather boots, to full-on winter gear with snowshoes etc. We would've been totally fine in zip-offs and just our regular hiking shoes I think...

If someone can instruct me on how to insert images here, I will post the pics I got. When I click the "Img" button, it just inserts HTML code, and I don't have an image hosting site or anything... Can't I just upload?

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 am

randalmartin wrote:I will never take a Camelback on a winter trip again. Even with blowing out the line after every use I have found little bits of water remaining in the area around the mouthpiece, those freeze and build up. Way too much risk. I typically take a 1 liter REI insulated thermos of something hot, another liter of water or sports drink in my pack. You can get heat patches (similar to the hand warmers but with a sticky side) and attach to your water bottle(s) for an extra measure of security and so that you are not drinking ice cold water (which quickly lowers your core temperature).

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Tycoon-Hydration-100-Ounce/dp/B00598GW6Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1357916594&sr=8-15&keywords=winter+camelbak

Winning

Postby Catalyst » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am

I've got a question about a layering system, and thought I would get some advice before going and spending a lot of money on jackets. Putting it in here instead of starting a new thread because there already seem to be so many related to this stuff.

How does this sound for a winter condition layering system for upper body.

Silk-weight Baselayer
Long sleeve Patagonia Capilene
fleece
Arcteryx gamma mx hoody
marmot oracle or marmot precip or patagonia torrentshell

Thanks
Matt

Postby awilbur77 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 am

Catalyst wrote:I've got a question about a layering system, and thought I would get some advice before going and spending a lot of money on jackets. Putting it in here instead of starting a new thread because there already seem to be so many related to this stuff.

How does this sound for a winter condition layering system for upper body.

Silk-weight Baselayer
fleece
Arcteryx gamma mx hoody

Thanks
Matt

Sounds similar to what I use. I am usually layering a cap1 or cap2 base layer, Patigonia R1 Hoody, Sierra Designs Gnar Lite Jacket, and Montbell Softshell (yeah we know Bean, it's not a softshell) :)
"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." - Hellen Keller

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 am

Catalyst wrote:How does this sound for a winter condition layering system for upper body.

Silk-weight Baselayer
fleece
Arcteryx gamma mx hoody

Looks pretty good. Minor tweeks:
Leave out the fleece or you will be too hot while moving. Carry a hooded puffy layer to throw on when you stop longer than two - three minutes, or if it is really, really cold (below 0 degrees).
Trade the silk-weight baselayer for a baselayer with a hood, 1/4 zip, and thumb loops.
Be sure your Capilene has a zip to allow greater temperature flexibility.
Last edited by DaveSwink on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:56 am

I'll second the hooded layer recommendation, I used to wonder just how useful it was until I got one with a hood, it's amazing. Fits under a helmet, does most of the job of a balaclava for me, it's amazing.

Get the Patagonia R1 hoody if you want to be super warm, or be like I did and find the Eddie Bauer FA one if you want something a little lighter or want to save some money if you find it on sale.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby metalmountain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:57 am

Somewhat of a prick wrote:
randalmartin wrote:I will never take a Camelback on a winter trip again. Even with blowing out the line after every use I have found little bits of water remaining in the area around the mouthpiece, those freeze and build up. Way too much risk. I typically take a 1 liter REI insulated thermos of something hot, another liter of water or sports drink in my pack. You can get heat patches (similar to the hand warmers but with a sticky side) and attach to your water bottle(s) for an extra measure of security and so that you are not drinking ice cold water (which quickly lowers your core temperature).

http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Products-Tycoon-Hydration-100-Ounce/dp/B00598GW6Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1357916594&sr=8-15&keywords=winter+camelbak

Winning

The problem is the mouth pieces will still freeze. When you start getting below zero temps its basically impossible to keep them from freezing. Once its gets down in the teens (wind chill or temp) I stop using my camelback. Its just too much of a hassle in my opinion. Once the mouthpiece freezes up solid good luck getting it thawed out.

My go to method now is that I take my camelback bladder and store it as normal in my pack, I just disconnect the hose. The heat from my body seems to keep it from freezing up. Then I take my nalgene bottle, fill it up then wrap it in my extra fleece layer. The nalgene did start icing up after a few hours though. Once the nalgene is empty I just pull out the bladder and fill it back up. Was out at Mills Lake ice climbing Sunday in below zero temps all day and nothing froze up.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 am

metalmountain wrote:The problem is the mouth pieces will still freeze. When you start getting below zero temps its basically impossible to keep them from freezing. Once its gets down in the teens (wind chill or temp) I stop using my camelback. Its just too much of a hassle in my opinion. Once the mouthpiece freezes up solid good luck getting it thawed out.

I've had decent luck so far with blowing back into the bladder, and keeping the mouthpiece tucked in my jacket. Not perfect, but I always carry nalgene of water and a nalgene of gatorade anyway, so I have backups anyway.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby metalmountain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:10 am

farcedude wrote:
metalmountain wrote:The problem is the mouth pieces will still freeze. When you start getting below zero temps its basically impossible to keep them from freezing. Once its gets down in the teens (wind chill or temp) I stop using my camelback. Its just too much of a hassle in my opinion. Once the mouthpiece freezes up solid good luck getting it thawed out.

I've had decent luck so far with blowing back into the bladder, and keeping the mouthpiece tucked in my jacket. Not perfect, but I always carry nalgene of water and a nalgene of gatorade anyway, so I have backups anyway.

I have about a 3 second attention span though. I used to try and keep it cleared, then I would get distracted for 10 minutes and forget to do it. Then I would go to take a drink and all I would have was a water flavored Popsicle :(
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby geojed » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am

My go to method now is that I take my camelback bladder and store it as normal in my pack, I just disconnect the hose. The heat from my body seems to keep it from freezing up. Then I take my nalgene bottle, fill it up then wrap it in my extra fleece layer. The nalgene did start icing up after a few hours though. Once the nalgene is empty I just pull out the bladder and fill it back up. Was out at Mills Lake ice climbing Sunday in below zero temps all day and nothing froze up.

That's what I did for the first time on Little Bear. Worked great since I started off with hot water in my Camelbak. Just filled up my nalgene from my Camelbak and left my Camelbak wrapped in my backpack. How do you cap it off once you disconnect the hose?

I've thought about getting a MSR Dromedary water bag http://www.rei.com/product/733955/msr-dromlite-4-liter and just filling my Nalgene up from that.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby a94buff » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:11 am

I have an insulated camelbak hose, kept the mouthpiece stuck in my jacket and still had a frozen line in about 25 minutes headed up to Grizzly D on Saturday in -7 wind chills. Must not have been blowing it out quite thoroughly enough. My new idea is to stick a toe warmer patch to the bladder, right about where the hose comes in, and see if that helps. I hate the idea of having to go into my pack everytime I need water so I'd love to find a solution to the hose issue!

PreviousNext