Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter Hiking Needs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 am

pvnisher wrote:My favorite softshell (Mammut Ultimate hoody)

The Ultimate is a very nice jacket. I own one and like it quite a bit. But it's not a softshell.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Nidderdale, North Yorkshire

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby pvnisher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 am

Yes, I saw you got one for Christmas. My preferred color (Orion) isn't available anymore, but hopefully you were able to get one almost as nice.

Bean wrote:But it's not a softshell.


Ok, I'll play along... :roll:

"The Ultimate Hoody is made from the proven full-stretch, highly breathable GORE® WINDSTOPPER® Soft Shell for freedom of movement and absolute wind resistance."
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/101005171_v_5426_L/Ultimate-Hoody-Men.html

Are you saying that "softshell" is just what it is called, but not what it is? :wft:

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 am

pvnisher wrote:
Bean wrote:But it's not a softshell.


Ok, I'll play along... :roll:

"The Ultimate Hoody is made from the proven full-stretch, highly breathable GORE® WINDSTOPPER® Soft Shell for freedom of movement and absolute wind resistance."
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/101005171_v_5426_L/Ultimate-Hoody-Men.html

Are you saying that "softshell" is just what it is called, but not what it is? :wft:

I could call a chicken burrito a softshell too, but that wouldn't make it anything but a burrito (though it would be closer to a softshell than a WINDSTOPPER® garment). It's all marketing, and Gore is one of the worst at spreading disinformation. Softshells rely on the weave of the fabric to provide weather resistance, not a membrane; WINDSTOPPER® uses the same PTFE membrane as everything else from GORE®, but without a PU coating. Look at the other part of the sentence you quoted - "proven full-stretch." Have you ever tried stretching your Ultimate? I had to go with a large instead of a medium because the sleeves are too short on the medium - it'd be fine if there was some stretch to the garment, but there isn't. It's a nice jacket, but the marketing on it is BS.

Mine is the "dark cruise" (I think) and I'm pretty happy with the appearance. Goes well with my yellow pants, though I'm considering picking up a "yolk" one too for biking.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:46 pm
Location: Nidderdale, North Yorkshire

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby pvnisher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 am

I knew you'd go with the "if it has a membrane it's not a softshell" argument. I can't comment further. Gore will send black helicopters and special agents!
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/Insane-in-the-Membrane.html?page=all

If the Ultimate had a better visor, collar that stood up when hood is down, a chest pocket, and removed the thumb holes then I'd really be pumped. Oh, and made the zipper Maerican style instead of Euro. I always forget which hand to use.

Have you tried any microfiber softshells (or pick your term)? I don't know why they aren't more popular. Super light, tougher than plasticy windshirts, breathe very well, block tons of wind...

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 am

pvnisher wrote:If the Ultimate had a better visor, collar that stood up when hood is down, a chest pocket, and removed the thumb holes then I'd really be pumped. Oh, and made the zipper Maerican style instead of Euro. I always forget which hand to use.

Have you tried any microfiber softshells (or pick your term)? I don't know why they aren't more popular. Super light, tougher than plasticy windshirts, breathe very well, block tons of wind...

It's called the Ultimate Inuit Jacket. A bit warmer though. And still no chest pocket. And Euro-style zips are better. 8)

I have not used one of them.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Djslais » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm

hey chris, did you make it to RMNP? If so, how were the conditions?

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby chrismjx » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:44 pm

Sorry, not yet :( Currently planning a wedding, and some stuff came up (as usual)... I'm pretty bummed about it, so hopefully we'll get out there this week sometime. When I finally do, I will post a conditions report to the thread.

User avatar
Posts: 1287
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Papillon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 pm

Nike. There is no substitute.

Image

Note: There is always a story...
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

User avatar
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby d_baker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Papillon wrote:Nike. There is no substitute.

Image

Note: There is always a story...


....and I hope to hear it!

User avatar
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:07 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby chrismjx » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Bean wrote:
pvnisher wrote:My favorite softshell (Mammut Ultimate hoody)

The Ultimate is a very nice jacket. I own one and like it quite a bit. But it's not a softshell.


I have a Cabela's softshell that looks really good so I wear it often in "town". Water beads on it, but I'm not convinced it'd work out for hiking more than a couple of times. I'd like something more "permanent" in my collection of gear. I have an awesome Arc'teryx mid-layer, but again, not waterPROOF.

I think I'll just rely on my PreCip jacket and some new, inexpensive shell pants.

Can anyone recommend good choices for women, as far as shell pants and jacket?

User avatar
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Djslais » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 pm

I've got a pair of arcteryx goretex shell pants...not sure what model, but they have no insulation and they work great, although I don't use them for hiking much, mainly for times when I know I'm going to be rollin' around in the snow :-). I also have a pair of OR cirque softshell pants that are my main hiking pant...stops the wind, but very breathable and stretches nicely too. Somewhat water resistant, but you wouldn't want to sit in the snow very long in them. I really like the cirque's...they come in woman's too...

User avatar
Posts: 5270
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 10:46 am
Location: Craig

Re: Winter Hiking Needs

Postby Scott P » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:58 pm

Going back to the original post, don't forget about bringing a way to keep your water from freezing.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests