Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Trail shoe recommendation

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Trail shoe recommendation

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Some good recommendations here. Shoes are really subjective, but so important! Once I find a good one, I stick with it as long as it is produced. Currently, I have been very pleased with my Scarpa Epics. They have everything from trail running to 5.7 on them. I like them so much I acquired another pair. But as I said, it is a personal choice and fit means everything. It seems that every brand fits a bit different. Scarpa works well for long and narrow feet. Kind of difficult to differentiate the old from the new in the photo, hence the evidence that I like them.

Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby dpk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 am

[quote="RoanMtnMan"]Some good recommendations here. Shoes are really subjective, but so important! Once I find a good one, I stick with it as long as it is produced./quote]

Well said - if the shoe fits . . . :-D That being said I've found great success in Brooks shoes. Specifically the Cascadia is great for trail. A little heavy but has great traction and the 'side' lacing is a great feature for me.
dpk

The only easy day was yesterday

Postby siop » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 am

Sounds like you might like the Montrail Massochist. The toe box is roomy, but they're a little stiff for my liking. I certainly have never felt rocks in mine. My preference is the Brooks Cascadia, love these shoes. But shoes are super personal. The Cascadia's have a roomy toe box, light weight, but are definitely not as stiff as the Massochists. Also keep in mind most of the 2013 editions come out in early March so there are usually great deals on the older versions starting in late Jan. This is when I usually stock up on shoes.

www.irunfar.com has some good shoe reviews
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson

Postby gzrrnnr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:39 am

I have used the Brooks Cascadias since they came out years ago and would not use anything else. I agree with all the characteristics mentioned in the other posts, and would add that mine are very durable. Last summer, one pair survived 30+ 13ers and 14ers and associated trail running around Leadville, and I am still wearing that pair around the house. They also worked well with Kahtoola microspikes and crampons - they can go about anywhere - rocky trails, mud, snow, class 3/4 scrambling. They obviously are not waterproof, but no running shoes are if the water is more than ankle deep, even with gaiters. The new C8s are available at REI, and I think are an improvement over the C6s and C7s.

Postby SouthernFried » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks y'all for all the advice and suggestions!

Since I'm mainly just hiking on trails, I hope my last longer than if I was scrambling on rocks and hiking scree fields like y'all do in CO.

Postby gdthomas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 pm

As others have said, fit is very important. The Salomon GTX's were a bit narrow for me and consequently broke down at the pressure points quicker than they probably should have. The soles also wore down faster than I expected but they performed well otherwise. My TNF Hedgehog GTX's fit my feet like a glove and despite having a lot of hikes, numerous class 2 and 3 climbs, and a long trek behind them, they look like new.

Postby hburg1222 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 am

my preference is LaSportiva wildcats.

Postby England » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

5.10 Camp 4, hands down!
Peter Gallagher quote: "Many people say I move fast for a guy that's out of shape. Then I just remind them that round is a shape".

Postby dehrlich101 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:43 pm

I've been using TNF Ultra 106 Gore-Tex XCR Trail shoes for the past year. I've been beating the hell out of them and they have held up beautifully. Very good shoes in my option.

http://www.rei.com/product/806640/the-north-face-ultra-106-gore-tex-xcr-trail-running-shoes-mens
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ

Postby ceejay » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Corn wrote:I have had a three pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX and GTX 2's over the last 6+ years. On trails and pavement you would be hard pressed to find a better wearing more comfortable shoe. That being said during, the last five months I have completed 8 14ers with a newly purchased Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2's and the soles are shredded! They are a trail running shoe and i just might be asking to much from them chasing peaks.

Excellent product, I've used them for years. Once I forgot my boots and used these shoes to backpack to Cottonwood Lake. Climb the Needle. And pack out. Without any difficulty. Amazing. Better for traditional trail runner use, though.

Postby SouthernFried » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 pm

So I went and tried on some shoes and I actually really liked the feel of the Vasque Velocity 2.0. Anyone have any experience with these in particular or Vasque in general? I know I saw one person on here suggest Vasque...just wondering others thoughts.

Thanks y'all!

Postby wheresgibbs » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm

I have a pair of Vasque Velocity GTX and while I don't use them for trailing running, they are my go to for backpacking and hiking when it's going to be cold and wet. I find them a bit too clunky for running, but the wide fit is perfect for my feet.

For running, have you tried any Montrails? They make a variety of styles and cuts and really offer a range of protection levels from more agressive hiking style shoes to light weight racing flat type trail runners.

Edit: If you're going to be doing more hiking than running I recommend the Velocity or the Montrail AT, both of these are available in GTX models, although the Montrail AT GTX may no longer be made and has probably been replaced by a differently named model. Either way, I have been very happy with my Montrails and Vasques living in VA, MS and CO.

PreviousNext