Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Iphone Avalanche Safety App

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Iphone Avalanche Safety App

Postby colokeith » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 am

I found a cool iphone app called "BCA" by the folks over at backcountryaccess.com

App includes
  • a rescue guide
  • tool for measuring slope angle / aspect
  • tour planner
  • Downloadable (offline) avalanche forecasts

There is another app by mammut that was interesting it walks you through a series of steps to assess the avalanche risk. Overall I like the BCA app better.
Last edited by colokeith on Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson

Re: Iphone Avalanche Safety App

Postby Doug Shaw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

colokeith wrote:
[*] a rescue guilde

Ah yes, Ye Olde Mountaine Rescue Association. I love those guys.

:lol:

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I do long for the day when my SPOT, GPS, radio, avy beacon, sat phone and cell phone are all one compact solar charged device. Many a partner have listened to be complain about it.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby colokeith » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Doug Shaw wrote:
colokeith wrote:
[*] a rescue guilde

Ah yes, Ye Olde Mountaine Rescue Association. I love those guys.

:lol:

Well now I am disappointed in my typo. A rescue guild is way more exciting than a rescue guide.

I do long for the day when my SPOT, GPS, radio, avy beacon, sat phone and cell phone are all one compact solar charged device. Many a partner have listened to be complain about it.

Completely agree we have come so far in combining devices... but there are still so many opportunities
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson