Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: PSA: SteriPen Traveler for $25

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:18 pm

^^^ STP product info says it takes 90s to do a liter.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby VagabondSurveyor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:50 pm

I have the Freedom, always works fine for me.. I ordered one of these as well. Cant beat that price.

Postby jsdratm » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Cruiser wrote:^^^ STP product info says it takes 90s to do a liter.

That is pretty awesome, looking forward to trying this fancy doohicky out.

Postby smrcka » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tip Cruiser - just ordered one!
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby Papillon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:36 pm

nkan02 wrote:
Dave B wrote:For those who use steripens, how long do you find the batteries to last? Also do you typically store the steripen with batteries in place?

I got 4 rechargeable AA batteries in mine. They lasted for filtering liters and liters of water on Rainier for 4 people near 10k (my Steripen is a full version). Love the product - switched from Katadyn's water filter - big weight savings, and it is a very efficient/fast way to treat water. Coincidentally, GPS batteries are also AA, so there is a backup.

http://www.rei.com/product/761906/steripen-classic-water-purifier-with-prefilter

The one in the STP link uses CR123 batteries which are shorter and wider than AAs (also more expensive). These are the same batteries in my Adventure Opti version.

It seems like the one you linked to above (the classic) has a smaller housing? Can you treat a narrow mouth gatorade bottle with it? The Adventure Opti version is too big so you either have to carry a wide mouth nalgene or get creative. Don't wait until you get into the field to figure this out.

I cut the top two inches off a gatorade bottle last summer and used that for treating. Weighs 4-5 ounces less than a nalgene bottle.

re: battery life

I am able to get 30-35 treatments out of a set of batteries. For a weeklong trip (for two people), I'd recommend three sets. I brought two last summer and had to borrow a partner's filter for the last few nights.

I always remove the batteries when I'm not using the unit. The literature states that temperature can have an adverse affect on # of treatments.

These are great for day hikes too. Let's say you have a 3.5 mile approach to a lake before your climb. You don't need to lug two liters of water with you at 2.2 lbs per liter when you can carry just one and then resupply.
Last edited by Papillon on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Papillon wrote:These are great for day hikes too. Let's say you have a 3.5 mile approach to a lake before your climb. You don't need to lug two liters of water with you at 2.2 lbs per liter when you can carry just one and then resupply.

This is precisely what I bought this for. I figure on multiday trips I just want the security of a filter, but for looooooong day trips it's so much easier to dunk a nalgene and swirl a steripen than to bust out a filter or deal with the discoloring and horid taste of iodine treated water.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Papillon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Dave B wrote:
Papillon wrote:These are great for day hikes too. Let's say you have a 3.5 mile approach to a lake before your climb. You don't need to lug two liters of water with you at 2.2 lbs per liter when you can carry just one and then resupply.

This is precisely what I bought this for. I figure on multiday trips I just want the security of a filter, but for looooooong day trips it's so much easier to dunk a nalgene and swirl a steripen than to bust out a filter or deal with the discoloring and horid taste of iodine treated water.

Just make sure you have a fresh set with you. I made that mistake this summer. We were with Kevin Baker and had just descended West Maroon Pass. It was 9 PM and I'd had probably 2-3 sips in the last two hours. We finally reached a water source and my batteries were dead.

The nerd rage that followed was off the charts.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby spiderman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:10 pm

I bought this from STP and have had enjoyed it immensely. Definitely need a wide mouth bottle for this; otherwise it will not turn on. I have a high intensity flashlight that also uses two CR123 batteries. With the redundancy, I can make sure that I don't run out of batteries for either device. I still carry a small bottle of iodine tablets if life still decides to be evil to me.

Postby George James » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:15 pm

25 bucks? Sure, why not.

Thanks Cruise
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack
~ The Baron Von Bergschrund

Postby nkan02 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Papillon wrote:

It seems like the one you linked to above (the classic) has a smaller housing? Can you treat a narrow mouth gatorade bottle with it? The Adventure Opti version is too big so you either have to carry a wide mouth nalgene or get creative.

Not sure about gatorade bottle, since I don't use it. I carry a standard Nalgene bottle and Steripen with the pre-filter fits it perfectly.

Postby chrismjx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 pm

Awesome! I've always wanted to try one of these so I jumped on this deal! With the shipping coupon mentioned earlier, it was <$28 after taxes and shipping! Thanks Cruiser and hikermike! =D>
Shipping coupon code: SWL12

Postby davebks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm

Nice!! Thanks for sharing!!!
I am excited to try this out for day hikes.
As a side note, I am a BIG fan of aqua mira drops. Used them in Peru and Nepal and never got sick once. And the wait time is only 15 minutes or less.

Oh, use this shipping code to get the shipping down! SWL12
Mine was only $2.50 to ship

PreviousNext