Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neptune Moutaineering sold

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Neptune Moutaineering sold

Postby peter303 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:34 am

Re: Neptune Moutaineering sold

Postby GregMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:58 am

Looking at their current list of store locations: (http://www.backwoods.com/stores/ )

Texas (Austin and Fort Worth), Oklahoma (Norman, Oklahoma City, and Tulsa), Kansas (Wichita and Overland Park), and Nebraska (Omaha).

They all look a lot more flat to me. Be interesting to see what changes at Neptune (hopefully not much).
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm

farcedude wrote:
Be interesting to see what changes at Neptune (hopefully not much).

Hopefully the customer service. Neptittude is famous. I have a great tent shopping story. At least Texans are known to be polite. I suspect the business was dumped.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby I Man » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Fletch wrote:
Here's to hoping that they keep it the same...

Bent Gate and Neptune are amazing. I would hate to lose them. I try and buy a piece of climbing gear, however small, each time I go there.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
farcedude wrote:

Hopefully the customer service. Neptittude is famous. I have a great tent shopping story. At least Texans are known to be polite. I suspect the business was dumped.

Neptards.

Not a fan, great selection of cool stuff though, hope they keep that aspect going.

I hear those Hilleberg tents are pretty OK, though 8)
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby lodidodi » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 pm

When I used to live in Kansas 5 years ago I would go to backwoods and dream about living in Colorado. It was mostly backpacking gear and clothing but looking online it looks like they've expanded what they carry. I used to go to this place called Galyans for generic outdoor gear and it was pretty cool but they sold to Dicks Sporting Goods which is the Walmart of gear.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 pm

I Man wrote:
Fletch wrote:

Bent Gate and Neptune are amazing.

While I am a big fan of supporting any local shop. Hard to compare these two. Bent Gate is in another class, simply for the fact of how you are treated when you walk in the door and how they interact with the community.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby I Man » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
I Man wrote:
Fletch wrote:

Bent Gate and Neptune are amazing.

While I am a big fan of supporting any local shop. Hard to compare these two. Bent Gate is in another class, simply for the fact of how you are treated when you walk in the door and how they interact with the community.

Ok - yea, I can def agree there. Bent Gate is fantastic. I am more speaking to the experience of walking into a store the size of Neptune and having that much gear at your finger trips. REI just doesn't cut it for an alpinist.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:29 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
farcedude wrote:

I agree. The two times I've been there, I was not impressed.

And I'll second Bent Gate as a step up.
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby GregMiller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I can see what you all mean, but for at least me, I've always at least gotten better help when I'm looking at stuff at Neptune, it has seemed to me like they have more people wandering around willing to help. But that's only my experience.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby TallGrass » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

I've known Backwoods back when they had a shop on Broadway in KCMO (later moved to OP). Galyans was good (had a free indoor rock wall) then got Dick'd. There was another outdoor store near the OP BW location but they closed that branch and retracted back to Springfield, MO. They recently open a Moosejaw on the Plaza here (MO). Next closest gear store would be Sunflower Sports in Lawrence (KU). Backwoods here has always been a friendly camping/hiking/climbing store but tad pricey store, though they do knock off 20% or such for being a member of a local climbing club. Their inventory isn't deep on some things, but is pretty diverse, and staff are pretty candid/objective versus the spiel I've gotten at some others. If Nept wasn't good, I don't see why they'd keep the name versus signaling a fresh start.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Kiefer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm

After initially reading this, I was a bit pissed. But then I sat back and thought of the times I've been in both stores and realized, Roan, Dave and Bill are 100% right. I never really thought about the service before. Once I walk through the door (both stores), I'm usually zoned out into all the great product they carry that cookie-cutter REI doesn't carry. But service at Neptune's really does leave a lot to be desired.

I love both stores equally. Bent gate is the sh*t. Neptunes has an impressive display plus the museum aspect that Gary has put together. The place really is kinda unique. I just hope this Texas company doesn't fire the staff & all lose their jobs; maybe a course or two in customer service but otherwise, I hope they're astute enough to leave things as they are.

Dave B wrote:
RoanMtnMan wrote:
farcedude wrote:

Neptards.

Not a fan, great selection of cool stuff though, hope they keep that aspect going.

I hear those Hilleberg tents are pretty OK, though 8)

Next