Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neptune Moutaineering sold

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Neptune Moutaineering sold

Postby gb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:38 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:

While I am a big fan of supporting any local shop. Hard to compare these two. Bent Gate is in another class, simply for the fact of how you are treated when you walk in the door and how they interact with the community.

While I've certainly run into Neptude before, I have personally noticed a huge change ever since the infamous TGR thread which is now close to 100k views. I went there around Christmas and had no less than 4 employees cheerfully say hi and ask if I needed any help. I also visited Bent Gate around the same time and wandered around for 15 minutes without so much as a second glance or greeting by anyone there.

I hope Neptune doesn't change much, or at least that they will keep the museum-like aspect of it intact.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

gb wrote:While I've certainly run into Neptude before, I have personally noticed a huge change ever since the infamous TGR thread which is now close to 100k views. I went there around Christmas and had no less than 4 employees cheerfully say hi and ask if I needed any help. I also visited Bent Gate around the same time and wandered around for 15 minutes without so much as a second glance or greeting by anyone there.

I hope Neptune doesn't change much, or at least that they will keep the museum-like aspect of it intact.

It may have certainly changed. I haven't been back in over a year. I will be interested to see what direction it goes after the change. The museum is something special for sure, I wonder if they will keep it? I will never forget my tent shopping story though. My wife and I exchanged a lot of looks during that episode and had plenty of conversation on the way home. But that was an anecdotal experience in the past. We need these local specialty shops.

The internet is a powerful thing it seems. Neptune got a whole lot of free marketing research from that thread. Do you think someone actually followed it and started implementing changes? Very interesting from a business standpoint. I can't get through more than a few pages on TGR anymore. Too much mud mixed in with the nuggets. They make a lot of $$$ off of that forum though.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby davebks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:13 pm

It's weird. All day since I heard about the sale I have read about people not liking Neptune's customer service. I have had great service there!! I really like them am surprised so many had bad experiences. I also do like Bent Gate, but it's too far for a quick trip to get something.
I have been going to Moosejaw more and more too. They have a nice shop at 29th st if you haven't been in there yet. Competitive prices too. I bought some Sabretooth crampons there recently and they came in under REI, Neptune, Bent Gate, and Backcountry. And they have a lot of coupons everywhere.

Too bad Neptune will change hands though. I liked their local set up. Also, I usually don't root for anything from Texas except the grapefruit. They sure know how to grow those down there!

Postby dpage » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Has anyone used backwoods for adventure travel? http://www.backwoods.com/adventures/
That seems like a nice way to expand your business from just gear in a land of adventure seekers.

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:52 pm

I’ve always been happy with the customer service at Neptune. They spent a lot of time with MountainHikerette working on boot fit and building custom liners. We don’t make it up to Boulder a lot but often drop in when we’re there. It’s where we’ve found some things not mainstream enough for modern REI. I sure hope they keep the museum. Hopefully Neptune will retain the serious mountain emphasis and Backwoods sees this as a way to increase their presence in that market.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby crossfitter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:20 pm

I've always had a great experience with service at Neptune. Sure, they aren't as likely as REI to seek you out and make sure you're finding everything OK, but if you come in having done your homework the staff all know their stuff and will give you far more valuable and experienced advice than you'll find at any major retailer. Just don't show up asking what gear you need to climb <insert generic trade route here>.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I hope they survive and the strong mountaineering aspect of the shop is not lost in the transition.

I'm sure the reason for the sale will become public at some point but sometimes it's more than money, or lack of money. Sometimes it's burn-out on the part of the owners/founders, they have taken the venture to their maximum potential and need different management OR it's simply a desire to retire. Whatever the reason, it would be a shame if Neptune went in the toilet. Part of it will depend on whether or not the current management and staff stays with the new owner.

Postby d_baker » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

This was mentioned......
RoanMtnMan wrote:I have a great tent shopping story...

....and then again....

RoanMtnMan wrote:I will never forget my tent shopping story though. My wife and I exchanged a lot of looks during that episode and had plenty of conversation on the way home.

Both posts are within the first couple of pages in this thread.
We deserve to hear the story now. ;)
Thanks.

Postby gb » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:53 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
The internet is a powerful thing it seems. Neptune got a whole lot of free marketing research from that thread. Do you think someone actually followed it and started implementing changes?

Oh yeah. It was the first thing that would show up on a google search for "Neptune" for a while. Gary even signed up and responded. Kind of a TGR classic from '07, with a whole lot of TGR juvenile crap mixed in. Someone pm'ed me wondering what the link was, here it is if anyone really wants to waste time. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/105357-sarcastic-remarks-can-get-you-banned-from-Neptune-Mountaineering

Postby Sugar Madison » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Fletch wrote:
I suspect one of two things is happening (and this is total speculation):

1) Neptune is rediculously profitable. So much so that they just couldn't say no to the offer. This company out of Texas is looking to get into the mountaineering business (puffys, boots, ice climbing, etc) which they certainly are not in now and Neptune's customer base, market share, and sales staff are what they are paying for. Maybe they are wanting to expand into Colorado and want the location or to be in Boulder...

2) Neptune is not profitable and they bought it on the cheap. The recession has cut deep and wide and I'm sure Neptune has not been able to avoid it altogether. This company in Texas may have a lot of cash and can't find anywhere to put it (stocks and bonds are paying anything right now) and a "mountaineering store in Boulder" sounded sexy. Or the owner's kid went to CU and needs a job or something...

I was guessing he just decided to retire. He's gotta be getting up around 70 now. I sure hope I'm not still working at that age. :)

Actually, I hope I'm not working by 40, but that seems somewhat unlikely. :wink:

Postby DaveLanders » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:03 pm

I've purchased some higher end expensive gear from Neptune's over the years, and I've always gotten
good customer service. I've met Gary too, and always found him to be very nice.

Neptune's has contributed a lot by bringing in outstanding speakers (for example, Doug Scott,
Reinhold Messner, Layton Kor, etc.). I hope that aspect continues under the new owners.

Postby ThuChad » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:19 pm

I frequent the Backwoods here in OKC. It's one of a couple stores in the area that actually has decent gear. The in-store service is average if you can get anyone to help you. It's my go to place for trying stuff on before I buy it cheaper online. Retail is a tough business any more.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

PreviousNext