Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neptune Moutaineering sold

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Neptune Moutaineering sold

Postby TallGrass » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:03 pm

ThuChad wrote:my go to place for trying stuff on before I buy it cheaper online.
Pick your evil. Being just a profit-less hands-on showroom for an e-tailer will kill a brick&mortar and then your cost goes up via return $hipping what you don't like or taking a hit discounting it if you can't move it on craigs or the like. If I use store services, I compensate them for that, but also use e-tailers. Competition is good for the market/consumer, but that can remove competitors (less competition --> less innovation and higher prices).
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Tortoise1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Texans are known to be polite? I didn't know that.

Postby crestone14ers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Been buying gear from Gary since the mid seventies and many times would stop in after climbing in Eldorado Canyon where I used to see him there quite often.

Very high quality gear, great shows, sound advice, fantastic selection of the best climbing gear you could imagine.

Still have some of his store's European wool clothing that I climbed in quite a few years ago.

Used to love bringing in beer to the shows and settle down and enjoy good company and a great excursion into fantastic climbing trips around the world.

Kudos to Gary for bringing quality to mountaineering and for those who don't know... he usually walks around barefoot and in shorts, even in the dead of winter! :wink:

With Holubar, Frostline, Forrest, the original EMS, Boulder Mountaineer, and the once incredible European Mountaineering Boot shop whose name I forget, located on Colfax Ave, just east of East High School in Denver (which was the center of European mountaineering boots out west for many years and where I first met Roberto Rosa, a great boot repairman!)...

The old line climbing specialty shops are almost virtually gone... but not forgotten! =D>
“The strength of an individual is not measured by how much one can control others, but by how much one can control oneself.” Hidy Ochiai

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:13 am

gb wrote:Oh yeah. It was the first thing that would show up on a google search for "Neptune" for a while. Gary even signed up and responded. Kind of a TGR classic from '07, with a whole lot of TGR juvenile crap mixed in. Someone pm'ed me wondering what the link was, here it is if anyone really wants to waste time. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/105357-sarcastic-remarks-can-get-you-banned-from-Neptune-Mountaineering

I certainly remember when Andy started the thread, but I had to go back to see that Mr. Neptune chimed in! I admit to being bored by page 2 or 3 on the original viewing. The whole progression would still be a fine study for an aspiring business student.

Neptune is a valuable establishment and I really hope it does well. Though it may change, I think their advantage is to maintain that unique feel of "I am going to do something cool tomorrow and need a new piece of gear to make it happen". As well as creating the sense of community through various off the register programs.

"TGR juvenile crap" made me laugh. It's the crux of the site. If you can get through it, you learn some stuff.

I won't elaborate on the former tent shopping experience because it was in the past and anecdotal, thus irrelevant and certainly not constructive.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am

I Man wrote:
Fletch wrote:
Here's to hoping that they keep it the same...

I try and buy a piece of climbing gear, however small, each time I go there.

LOL if I did that I would be more broke than the US government! I walked into Bent Gate every other day while living in Golden. I know all the staff there and they are all very nice.

Neptune on the other hand I have never been to...never had a reason to with Bent Gate a few blocks away :-D
From what I hear it sounds nice though.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:51 am

Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby SolarAlex » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 am

bent gate is tops in my book. When i bought my splitboard set up from them and the one of the binding plates just refused to line up. I took the setup into the shop and one of the guys spent like 2 hours with me, fiddling with the plates until we got them in there. I was really impressed by the effort he took to help me out. I don't buy gear anywhere else now. Everyone that works there is super friendly.

neptune has a great selection of gear and the museum stuff is super cool, but I agree with the people saying their customer service is meh.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:04 pm

K2 sure has been trying hard to break into the backcountry the last few years. I hope they don't mess with the BCA R&D process.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby ajkagy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:06 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:

K2 sure has been trying hard to break into the backcountry the last few years. I hope they don't mess with the BCA R&D process.

I would think they'd have more access to funds for R&D now that K2 owns them
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:29 pm

ajkagy wrote:I would think they'd have more access to funds for R&D now that K2 owns them

I would hope so. From the various sources I've seen, it sounds like K2 will handle all the financial and logistics stuff, while everyone else in Boulder just keeps doing what they're doing (designing, making, and marketing). I just hope they do give them more funds, but don't meddle too much.

Also: www.backcountryaccess.com/2013/01/07/k2-sports-acquires-bca/
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Langston Hughes

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm

farcedude wrote:I would hope so. From the various sources I've seen, it sounds like K2 will handle all the financial and logistics stuff, while everyone else in Boulder just keeps doing what they're doing (designing, making, and marketing). I just hope they do give them more funds, but don't meddle too much.

Also: www.backcountryaccess.com/2013/01/07/k2-sports-acquires-bca/

That is good to hear about the Boulder folks and process. Creative passionate people invent ideas not money, money helps but isn't a guarantee. K2 has thrown a lot of money at the backcountry segment the last few years and hasn't come up with much more than good skis, which they already made. I don't run tabulations, but when I look in my gear room I see a lot of BCA products, which tells me that I like what they have done over the years. Otherwise they would have gone to EBay heaven.

Postby GregMiller » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm just getting into the backcountry thing, but of all the stuff I've picked up, a significant portion so far has been BCA, based in large part on the recommendations of folks on here (some of it even bought at Neptune ;-) )
Saw in an ESPN article on it (below) that Ortovox and Pieps had also been recently acquired by larger publicly-traded outdoor companies, it'll be interesting to see where the 'avy'/backcountry industry goes as a result.

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/story/_/id/8821883/k2-sports-acquires-backcountry-access
Still Here
Langston Hughes

PreviousNext