Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Neptune Moutaineering sold

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Neptune Moutaineering sold

Postby glacierfox » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 pm

farcedude wrote:it'll be interesting to see where the 'avy'/backcountry industry goes as a result

Especially given that Ortovox was bought, for all practical purposes, by a pencil manufacturer who only recently decided to enter the outdoor market. Black Diamond picking up Pieps I can understand...

Postby FFLpilot » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:57 am

I don't know, K2 sure killed off Dana Designs, while Marmot put the last dagger in the back of the 'DD' products that no longer exhibited their lineage. Hopefully BCA having a more diverse set of products (i.e. not just backpacks) will help prevent a similar recurrence.

Postby SteveBonowski » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm

I've shopped off & on at Neptune's since I took the CMC's mountaineering class in the mid-1980s. Always got good product and experienced good service. Living in southeast Denver and then Lakewood, getting up there required either a special trip or stopping on the way home from RMNP or nearby.

Couple people mentioned Galyan's. I remember it, while growing up in Indianapolis in the 1960s, as a little hole-in-the-wall hunting & fishing place out in a west side suburb. Was a real big deal, when I was in college, also in Indiana, when Galyan's opened a second shop near the state fair grounds on the east side of Indy. They obviously got bigger after I left town for Colorado.

Postby skerryjones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:38 pm

When I lived in OK, I shopped at Backwoods. I am surprised that they acquired Neptune. Backwoods tends to cater to the richer clientele, not the hardcore adventurer. Not that it's bad, it's just different.

Previous