Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Cook tent for mountaineering - recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Cook tent for mountaineering - recommendations?

Postby ulvetano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:39 pm

Anyone have any recommendations or leads (for purchase) for a cook tent? Essentially, I'm exploring what's out there for dialing in a base camp. Planning on having a 2-3 4-season tents, but would like to set up a floorless cook tent, build some snow benches/tables, etc underneath it and have a nice common area to hang out in. Anyone have experience with these and could you steer me in the right direction? thanks! Chuck

Re: Cook tent for mountaineering - recommendations?

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I have zero experience with such a situation, but how many people? I'm assuming <6 if you're only going with 2-3 tents.

Would a betamid work? I'm kind of assuming this is for the Alaska trip you posted on a while back, but it seems a betamid with a dug-out platform (2-4) feet would probably work well for that many people.

Or you could mortgage your house and buy one of these
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby Bean » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm

BD Megalight
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby ulvetano » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks all for the info so far. Mega Light was the only off the shelf version that I had my eye on. Seems about right for what I'm looking for, but I wasn't sure if it was meant for harsh conditions (yes Dave, prepping for the AK trip in April). Looks like there were more options years past, but many are discontinued.

Postby RoanMtnMan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Shangri La by Go-lite works well. We used it for an AK trip with little issue. I have spent a lot more time in my MH Kiva, however I loaned it out to a friend for an AK trip last year and apparently it is still under repair. Still not clear on the cause of the giant hole and I hope to see it again someday. I really liked that tent.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby climbingaggie03 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm

I've used the mega light a fair amount and it's great, super light and plenty sturdy, I know it sleeps 4 pretty crowded so it might be a bit crowded for more than 3 or 4 during meals but I think it would work. If you're going to set it up as a base camp cook tent sort of shelter, you can bury the edges under a bit of snow to hold them down and make it a more sheltered environment inside the Tarp.

I've seen the Go-lite shangri-la and it looks like an awesome shelter, I think it's probably even better than the BD mega light, but I haven't used it so I can't say for sure. I do like the floor plan for sleeping better than the megamid. Since it's pentagonal it gives more space inside than the squar megamid.