Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Identifying less prominent "peaks"/features

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Identifying less prominent "peaks"/features

Postby vdavidoff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:54 am

While trying to summit La Plata Peak (would have been only my 2nd 14er) I found myself surrounded by what I'll call "peaks" that I can see on terrain maps, but can't find names or designations for. One of them I was able to identify as Sayres Benchmark after scanning a bunch of trip reports, but other than finding pages dedicated to that feature, I haven't been able to find maps that would have it marked.

Where do you go to find maps with that kind of detail? There are still a few "peaks" around the Northwest Ridge I can't identify, and rather than just having someone tell me what they are, I'd like to learn how to find the resources to identify them myself.

Thanks!
Andy

Re: Identifying less prominent "peaks"/features

Postby dpage » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am

Here's a link from listofjohn.com that may help for the USGS quad Mount Elbert
http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/QMap.php?lat=39.0297&lon=-106.4692&z=15&P=0

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 pm

You need this book: Heading and Distance Charts for the Colorado Fourteeners by Alan Silverstein, and a compass, and you'll be all set. The book is just a set of lists, one per summit, of what you see on the horizon at each compass heading.

Alternatively, you could try this: http://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=NBR5O0HM
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby vdavidoff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks guys.

As far as heywhatsthat.com, how did you find that view for La Plata Peak? The view list seems to stop in the middle of the "I"s in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari for the main site, and "M"s for the beta site. I scanned the entire list for La Plata Peak listed in some other way (than just the name itself) and couldn't find it. Navigating to Colorado keeps the reference point to whatever the selected "View" is, and I don't see how to recenter to an arbitrary spot based on the map view.

Andy

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 pm

I created the view myself from the "new panorama" tab; the site then provided the link I posted.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.