Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I kinda like this tent...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

I kinda like this tent...

Postby sgladbach » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 pm

...for the price. 3.5 season. $130. Free shipping. Unfortunately, not a 14ers.com supporting vendor. Mountain Hardware Drifter 2
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

Re: I kinda like this tent...

Postby Cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby Cruiser » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby cory1223oh » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:44 pm

Just FYI, Backcountry.com matches any advertised price (advertised meaning before any coupon codes). Match that with extra 10% cash back from my Discover card and their unbeatable return policy and I'll likely never buy gear anywhere else again.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm

It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back, in a boat however....

Postby kansas » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:39 pm

Its on SAC for the next 15 minutes for $106.95
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby ETA » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm

I bought one last year for about $100, it's a decent tent for the money. I use it mostly for car camping, I agree it would be heavy to carry. One design complaint I have is the fly hits the inner wall at the tent ends during heavy rains. I might add a rope lash point to the fly to alleviate the issue.
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back, in a boat however....

Really? 5.04 lbs for a 3-season 2-person tent sounds about par for the course. at 93", it's a good 5" longer than many tents of similar weight. It's certainly not an ultralight, but not not that heavy.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:49 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back...

That was my first thought.

Steve, we gotta teach you a little ultralight savvy. :-D

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
climbingaggie03 wrote:It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back...

That was my first thought.

Steve, we gotta teach you a little ultralight savvy. :-D

I had the same thoughts earlier. But for that price I thought it may be on the edge of my weight to cost ratio, so I refrained (cheap cheap cheap!). How sturdy is that thing once setup? Will it hold a little blow in snow?
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 am

Hungry Jack wrote:
climbingaggie03 wrote:It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back, in a boat however....

Really? 5.04 lbs for a 3-season 2-person tent sounds about par for the course. at 93", it's a good 5" longer than many tents of similar weight. It's certainly not an ultralight, but not not that heavy.

yeah, I mean it looks nice for car camping and all, but 5lbs? my pack weight minus food and water is only 9.5lbs Even if you're carrying 30lbs, 5lbs is a pretty substantial chunk. I might consider using it in winter as I've found that a 3 season tent is usually plenty good for winter conditions (I figure if I use a tent fall, winter, and spring that's a 3 season tent right?) but I don't really like the single cross pole configuration, I like a double cross or 3 pole type configuration, I think they hold up better in wind.

My philosophy is there's so many sub 4lb and sub 3lb tents out there, it seems silly to haul extra lbs around for no reason. Also some gear wears out quickly, shoes for example, but tents last a fairly long time. I have a tent that I've had for 10 years and it's probably seen at least 500 nights and it has the duct tape patches and cracked poles to prove it, but it's still usable. If you're going to have something that long and use it that much, it's worth getting what you want/need not what's on sale, though a sale or good deal is always appreciated.

Postby pvnisher » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:24 am

So what's a better freestanding 2p tent with equal (or larger) dual vestibules (10-12 sq ft), length at least 93", price under $130 (or even $199), and weight under 5lb 4oz?

Next