Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

I kinda like this tent...

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: I kinda like this tent...

Postby TallGrass » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:44 am

A little more floor and vestibule space. Eureka Scenic Pass 2 XT Tent for $130. Bought the then current model a decade ago and still use and like the dual zip door option. Only difference is the "storm shield" comes down to the ground on the side on mine -- maybe better for shedding rain, but not for summer venting.
Image Read a review of the MtnHdwr one that said, "Cons: Hard To Pee Out Of." :lol:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:47 am

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=727

120'' long, 4 entrances, $120 and only 1lb with stakes and cord.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2

2lbs 2oz, 86 inches long which is plenty long enough for me at 6 feet tall, I bought mine for $225.

Postby Hungry Jack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 am

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:
climbingaggie03 wrote:It does look nice, and cheap, but man is it heavy! 5lbs?!?! no way I'd carry that on my back, in a boat however....

Really? 5.04 lbs for a 3-season 2-person tent sounds about par for the course. at 93", it's a good 5" longer than many tents of similar weight. It's certainly not an ultralight, but not not that heavy.

yeah, I mean it looks nice for car camping and all, but 5lbs? my pack weight minus food and water is only 9.5lbs Even if you're carrying 30lbs, 5lbs is a pretty substantial chunk. I might consider using it in winter as I've found that a 3 season tent is usually plenty good for winter conditions (I figure if I use a tent fall, winter, and spring that's a 3 season tent right?) but I don't really like the single cross pole configuration, I like a double cross or 3 pole type configuration, I think they hold up better in wind.

My philosophy is there's so many sub 4lb and sub 3lb tents out there, it seems silly to haul extra lbs around for no reason. Also some gear wears out quickly, shoes for example, but tents last a fairly long time. I have a tent that I've had for 10 years and it's probably seen at least 500 nights and it has the duct tape patches and cracked poles to prove it, but it's still usable. If you're going to have something that long and use it that much, it's worth getting what you want/need not what's on sale, though a sale or good deal is always appreciated.

Well, I haven't been tent-shopping in about 4 years, when I replaced an aging TNF RoadRunner with a BA Copper Spur 3, which is HUGE for two people but still checks in at about 5 lbs. My memory is that in shopping for a freestanding, 2-person, 3-season tent, it was very hard to get under 4lbs.

If I want to go really light in decent weather, I just bring my Tarptent, which is about 2lbs.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Postby ulvetano » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:51 am

Got the drifter last year and love it! I might have gotten the 3 though, for me, the gf, and the dog. Very spacious and I've thought its been quite light.

Postby climbingaggie03 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:Well, I haven't been tent-shopping in about 4 years, when I replaced an aging TNF RoadRunner with a BA Copper Spur 3, which is HUGE for two people but still checks in at about 5 lbs. My memory is that in shopping for a freestanding, 2-person, 3-season tent, it was very hard to get under 4lbs.

If I want to go really light in decent weather, I just bring my Tarptent, which is about 2lbs.

I don't know which year's model of copper spur you bought, but the current 3 person model is 3lbs 14oz, the 2 person model checks in at 3lbs 1oz. 2lbs is an extra bottle of water, an extra pair of shoes, an extra large bottle full of white gas, an extra 25 degree sleeping bag, or an extra set of pots/pans. You wouldn't unthinkingly toss any of these things in your pack if you didn't need them, so why would you toss in a heavier tent than you need in?

I have a 4lb 2 person tent, and a 7lb 3 person tent, they're great, super spacious, keep my dry, and keep the bugs out, but I'd never carry them except for from the car or boat to the camp site.

Postby Hungry Jack » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:40 pm

climbingaggie03 wrote:
Hungry Jack wrote:Well, I haven't been tent-shopping in about 4 years, when I replaced an aging TNF RoadRunner with a BA Copper Spur 3, which is HUGE for two people but still checks in at about 5 lbs. My memory is that in shopping for a freestanding, 2-person, 3-season tent, it was very hard to get under 4lbs.

I don't know which year's model of copper spur you bought, but the current 3 person model is 3lbs 14oz, the 2 person model checks in at 3lbs 1oz. 2lbs is an extra bottle of water, an extra pair of shoes, an extra large bottle full of white gas, an extra 25 degree sleeping bag, or an extra set of pots/pans. You wouldn't unthinkingly toss any of these things in your pack if you didn't need them, so why would you toss in a heavier tent than you need in?

I have a 4lb 2 person tent, and a 7lb 3 person tent, they're great, super spacious, keep my dry, and keep the bugs out, but I'd never carry them except for from the car or boat to the camp site.

I have the 2010 version. The 2012 CS3 is considerably lighter. It is a ton of room for little weight.

It's the lightest freestanding 2-person tent I own. After humping around a TNF Roadrunner 2 for 8 years, this tent is a quantum leap for me in terms of space:weight.

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:37 am

Anyone try the Big Agnes Fishhook?

It's zipperless... No zipper on the door. Just wondering how that works, especially if there are lots of mosquitos.

2p, 3lb 10oz, length of 93" (which I need), freestanding.

Only 1 door/vestibule, but I can live with that on occassion.

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:08 am

Or... you could always get the SD Mojo UFO.
2 person, freestanding, hybrid double-wall and single-wall. 1lb 11oz trail, 1 lb 15 oz packed weight. That's 11 oz lighter than the Fly Creek.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-559-mojo-ufo.aspx

Postby TallGrass » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:18 am

pvnisher wrote:Or... you could always get the SD Mojo UFO. http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-559-mojo-ufo.aspx
Only $1,799.95, and it qualifies for Free Shipping too! :-"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby pvnisher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:28 am

Yep. It's one of those pieces that if you have to look at the pricetag then you can't afford it.

Postby Hungry Jack » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:11 am

TallGrass wrote:
pvnisher wrote:Or... you could always get the SD Mojo UFO. http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-559-mojo-ufo.aspx
Only $1,799.95, and it qualifies for Free Shipping too! :-"

"For those who are truly obsessed with ultralight gear..."

Postby sgladbach » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:18 pm

5 pounds for two people in winter seems right to me. Sorry, I won't be sleeping under a tarp in the winter.

I will ONLY look at side-opening for winter use. I like laying in the sleeping bag and leaning out the door to melt water. I like the double vestibule (which I'm certain adds weight.)

I have lighter stuff for the summer.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?

PreviousNext