Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Official Gear Storage Thread

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Official Gear Storage Thread

Postby USAKeller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:01 am

By popular demand...

Re: Official Gear Storage Thread

Postby seth0687 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:31 am

If you were to enter my gear room right now there is a high probability that you would trip over an array of backpacks and impale yourself on a number of crampons, ice screws, and tools....Though there is a chance you would fall into a pile of down bags lol. I suppose I should do some cleaning first!

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 am

I have one of these hanging on the livingroom wall. It holds up to 600 pounds of gear. Everything else goes on the floor. Just one of the many wonderful benefits of living alone - you can put your gear wherever you want :-D

Postby Jay521 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:43 am

susanjoypaul wrote:I have one of these hanging on the livingroom wall. It holds up to 600 pounds of gear. Everything else goes on the floor. Just one of the many wonderful benefits of living alone - you can put your gear wherever you want :-D

That's cool, Susan! Now I am REALLY ashamed of the dozen or so nails I have holding up my stuff in my garage....
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:53 am

Aww... don't feel bad, Jay. That silly thing cost me $200, but I do use the heck out of it so I feel like I got my money's worth. Also, you only have to put 4 holes in the wall. I bought it online here: Gear Storage Systems

I don't know if there's a way to order it via "Bill's Links."

Postby lordhelmut » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 am

Main portion - Skis (Ski Logik Yeti,s Howitzers, Raves and Icelantic Nomads) boots (Salomon Quest 110's, Garmont Adrenalin's), sleeping bags (Montbell 0 and 30), ropes (Mammut 9.5, Edeilweiss 10.2), poles (2 pair BD flicklocks, BD Whippet) and all camping supplies stuffed in 155L Duffel (BA Fly Creek 2, REI Arete 3, Thermarest pad, BA Insulated Air Core, Thermarest foam)

photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG (155.72 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Packs - Gregory z35, Osprey Aether 70, Deuter Guide 45+, Osprey Kode 30, Gregory Iso 18 (gloves, gaiters, skins, headlamps, crampons in drawers).....

photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (125.38 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Jackets (I make a point to use all of these - Montbell Light Alpine Parka, Montbell UL Down, Cloudveil Koven Hardshell, Patagonia Untracked Ski Jacket, 2 Patagonia Guide Softshells, REI Revelcloud Synthetic Hoody, Cloudveil fleece, overpriced Gapertery'x rain jacket)

photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (120.13 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Postby peter303 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:18 am

I'd make a plea for complete, dedicated gear stashes. That is dont try to share things like cooking utensils, flashlights, most clothing etc with other household uses. Two reasons: (1) Its easy to forget something important then. I've done this way too many times. (1) It speeds up packing and unpacking by a significant amount of time. If you are are going on dozens of trips a year and you cut an hour or more this way, it really adds up.
I have not decided whether its worth it to maintain separate stashes for each kid of trip- day hike, car camping, backpacking, winter, climbing etc. But similar reasoning applies.

Postby aliciaf » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 am

susanjoypaul - I have one of those gear storage systems too. Will take a picture and post later if I remember! Between my stuff and my fiance's, we have outgrown our big one and have been considering getting another to make a his & hers, haha

Postby shearmodulus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am

Nice set ups.... When I get home ill post a pic of the gear explosion in my spare bedroom that I haven't cleaned up since last weekend.... <face palm>
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby yedi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

We recently moved in to a new place after a three-month road trip. The new place has a single car garage that my truck doesn't fit in...so...I obviously couldn't let the space go to waste. These pictures are after getting almost everything unpacked, but not quite organized.

Gear Storage.jpg
Gear Storage.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

The bookshelves hold random backpacking/glamping gear. Tents are in the bottom right, though they're hard to see, sleeping bags are obviously up top. Pretty much everything else is stuck in an Ikea bin. The horrible green dresser holds base layers, gaiters, etc. The storage boxes stacked around it were from our trip. They didn't work out as well as I had hoped, so their future is up in the air. The small grey Ikea drawers between the cooler and bike hold small gear (knives, extra headlamps, lighters), some bike components, and items for gear repair. The work table is copied from one in Backpacker a couple of years ago (plans here).

Pegboard.jpg
Pegboard.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 1302 times

The pegboard holds packs, eventually some tools and climbing gear, but I haven't gotten that far in my organization yet.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Is there a thread somewhere about how to do "gear laundry"? Specifically down sleeping bags and jackets, backpacks and Smartwool. I feel like it's not a straightforward procedure. Some of my things are getting a little tattered; some I've never washed because I'm afraid to.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Shoot. I already see some new ideas on here. Back to the drawing board. It is slightly embarrassing, but I will post up some more photos of what we have going on. And before you say it, we do have too much stuff. We are looking to get on the new A&E show "Gear Hoarders" though.

Gear room:

Hunting and fishing gear room:

And ski and ultimate car camping gear storage:

In my defense, the outdoors have been my occupation for 5 years, and yes that is a working mechanical bull in the garage.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Next