Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Official Gear Storage Thread

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Official Gear Storage Thread

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Brian Thomas wrote:HA! I have that same pair of orange Volkl's with the skin loops, my first hand-me-down pair for a BC setup. When I took them to Bent Gate to put some Dynafit A/T bindings on them, they asked me if I stole those skis from a museum #-o

Yeah, I'm broke. My gear is ghetto ](*,)

Unfortunately I have two sets of those Volkls, one purchased for me and one for my wife. Circa 2003 I think? But actually since those skis were made with such a light construction both pairs got used in the Grand Traverse Race a few years ago. Better than rusting away I suppose. Still trying to come up with a conversion for that crazy custom skin system they came up with.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby rjennings » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:
jbchalk wrote:Holy mary mother of god, Caleb! Having not been to your house, yet, I have not seen your new gear pad. But, damn, dude, lookin' good. Your 6 star Hyatt gear pad makes ours look like the Super 8 motel. Nice work, buddy.

Buddy, we all know, it ain't the gear, it's about bagging! Definitely nice to have the gear organized. The worst part of the day is always packing and unpacking for me. You need to turn that extra bedroom you have into a gear room. You can do the engineering and I can consult!

As long as Chalk keeps some space for me to crash in his spare bedroom... :-D Caleb...your gear room puts my measly gear wall to shame...
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:29 am

aliciaf wrote:Here's mine and jmc5040's gear storage. There are a few random things stored elsewhere (under beds, in our closet, etc.).
photo (2).JPG

Nicely done... and I see what you mean about it getting "full" with all that gear for two! Let me guess: your stuff is on the right side (or your boyfriend really likes pink)?

You know, Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and nothing says "I love you" like matching his'n hers gear storage racks :-D

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:
Brian Thomas wrote:HA! I have that same pair of orange Volkl's with the skin loops, my first hand-me-down pair for a BC setup. When I took them to Bent Gate to put some Dynafit A/T bindings on them, they asked me if I stole those skis from a museum #-o

Yeah, I'm broke. My gear is ghetto ](*,)

Unfortunately I have two sets of those Volkls, one purchased for me and one for my wife. Circa 2003 I think? But actually since those skis were made with such a light construction both pairs got used in the Grand Traverse Race a few years ago. Better than rusting away I suppose. Still trying to come up with a conversion for that crazy custom skin system they came up with.

The pics are great, Caleb!

One day I looked in my garage and wondered why the hell I was collecting skis so I tossed 8 pair of old K2s onto the trailer and made a dump run. At least now I have less then 10. :-$
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Rambler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

After reading this yesterday I went home and spent an hour turning our spare bedroom closet into my gear storage. Its really nice to have it hanging up now and not shoved into a rubbermaid and stuck in the back corner of the basement

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:13 am

Rambler wrote:After reading this yesterday I went home and spent an hour turning our spare bedroom closet into my gear storage. Its really nice to have it hanging up now and not shoved into a rubbermaid and stuck in the back corner of the basement

I am liking this spirit! I still can't figure out why we do this though. Unfortunately, I am all in.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

Postby RoanMtnMan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:19 am

susanjoypaul wrote:You know, Valentine's Day is just around the corner, and nothing says "I love you" like matching his'n hers gear storage racks :-D

SJP, you are a well known and very respected mountain person, can you please convince my wife of this idea? Kidding of course. That idea only seemed to work for the first 5 years. Now I have to play the tradeoff game. "New skis honey". "My skis are fine, flowers seem nice though." Dang it!

Postby herdbull » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:37 pm

I'll play along cause I'm sort of turning into a gear junky and I love climbing sh!t and gear threads.

gear storage_006.JPG
gear storage_006.JPG (57.16 KiB) Viewed 498 times

gear storage_004.JPG
gear storage_004.JPG (59.66 KiB) Viewed 498 times

gear storage_002.JPG
gear storage_002.JPG (68.51 KiB) Viewed 498 times

Postby herdbull » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm

couple more. Spantiks will be added to boot pile by the end of the week once the UPS guy gets here :-D

gear storage_007.JPG
gear storage_007.JPG (58.39 KiB) Viewed 493 times

gear storage_008.JPG
gear storage_008.JPG (59.83 KiB) Viewed 493 times

Postby herdbull » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:43 pm

and one more...

gear storage_001_01.JPG
gear storage_001_01.JPG (85.06 KiB) Viewed 489 times

Postby shearmodulus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:20 pm

My first response -

"Holy crap, I think I have gear envy."

My second response -

"I better show this to the wife so she know's that at least I don't have THAT much stuff when I come home from REI or Mountain Chalet or when the UPS/FedEx guy comes back...."

Nice setups!
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 am

RoanMtnMan wrote:Now I have to play the tradeoff game. "New skis honey". "My skis are fine, flowers seem nice though." Dang it!

If you have *all* that gear taking up *all* that space, and all she wants is flowers, then you are getting off easy (and cheap) my friend!

You are obviously doing something very right, and don't need any help from me. Cheers to you both for making it work... lots of guys and gals out there are still trying to figure it out. Make it a big bouquet.. and dinner, too, while you're at it :-)

PreviousNext