Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What about boots?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

What about boots?

Postby wildone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:30 am

I actually don't think I have too many boots or shoes, but I got into the backpacks thread and gear organization thread and would just be curious to see what others use/have for footwear!

I have 7+ pairs of boots (all La Sportiva - they make exceptional boots AND fit me. Of course there are other great brands, I just have great luck with La Sportivas across the board):

Baruntse-double boot for high altitude, winter, expeditions
Nepal-winter in Colorado (some overnights but usually day climbs)
Trango Alp- alpine mountaineering/climbing (comparable to the Trango S, but they stopped making these, so I wanted to get a pair before they were discontinued)
Trango S-alpine mountaineering/climbing
Glaicer-three season (not much different than the Latoks, but they stopped making them, so I wanted to get a pair before they were discontinued)
Latok-three season
Delta-summer

*These 7 pairs are my mountaineering boots. For regular hiking and backpacking, I use the La Sportiva Thunder and Pamir, respectively. I love my mountaineering boots too much to use them for anything else. I would also love to get the Baturas and Spantiks when I have the money (yes, believe it or not, I would use them but it would also be fun to 'complete my collection').

I also have 4 pairs of shoes (also La Sportiva):
Beryl-multisport
Boulder X-approach
Wildcat GTX-trail running
Wildcat-trail running

So there you have it :) Would love to hear what everyone else has and what works for you!

Re: What about boots?

Postby I Man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:33 am

+1 for all La Sportiva.

I have 3 season Trango Treks (Backpakcing), Nepals (Lower 48 mountaineering), & Spantiks (Expedition).
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Dex » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:31 pm

wildone wrote:Glaicer-three season (not much different than the Latoks, but they stopped making them, so I wanted to get a pair before they were discontinued)

They stopped making the Glacier?
http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/glacier

I have them for winter.

GARMONT Men's Flash III GTX Hiking - for light days

Merrell Perimeter GTX Mens Boot - for all other

We spend a lot of time on our feet. Being comfortable and safe is important.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby TehWoopig » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 pm

I have Asolo TPS 520 GTX. Like having 4 wheel drive for backpacking.

Postby GregMiller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I only have one pair for hiking, what I believe are the La Sportiva Thunder GTX from ~2008. Good boot, I've had to replace the soles once and get some stitching repaired (treating the leather has helped with that). All the 14er summits I've made have been these boots. Besides that I have a ~10 year old pair of 5.10 climbing shoes, and a pair of Garmont Cosmos for skiing (yes I know the inserts are bad, I'm skiing on frame bindings so it's not like I'm missing out on anything).
I'm guessing my next purchase will be something along the lines of the La Sportiva Trango (insert string of gibberish here).

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:56 pm

Boots are one area that is lagging a bit behind in my inventory:

I currently have:
Scarpa Mont Blancs (CO Winter/Spring, Rainier Summer, & Mexico) - I LOVE THESE BOOTS!!!
Vasque Leathers (they are discontinued, but similar to Asolo TPS) for late spring, colder summer, or heavy pack summer Colorado hikes
Salomen XA Pro 3d Mid GTX Ultras for fast and light peaks in Colorado Summer & Fall

Fletch, I have a couple of questions for you: could you discuss the differences between the Baruntse, Mont Blanc, and Trango? I plan on stepping up from the Mont Blancs for Ecuador and Aconcagua...but (with admittedly limited research) I had not pictured that step up being the Baruntse. Also, why the Trango for CO winter instead of the Mont Blancs? Thanks!
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby Rainier_Wolfcastle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks Fletch!

I was guessing that would be your answer regarding the Trangos & Blancs...but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

As for the Baruntse, I knew they were doubles...but I just have never had them in my hands, or more importantly on my feet. From pics they looked closer to the Blancs then the big yellow Koflach Arctis. It sounds like they might be the answer....now to see if they fit and then finding a sale! [-o<
Shawn D
Broomfield, CO

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm

My question: if you could pick one winter boot, what would it be? It has to be enough boot to handle all CO 14ers and Rainier.

Should I pull the trigger on Nepal Evo's? I have a ton of REI gift cards laying around and I desperately need a good winter boot

Postby pvnisher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:45 am

forbins_mtn wrote:My question: if you could pick one winter boot, what would it be? It has to be enough boot to handle all CO 14ers and Rainier.

Should I pull the trigger on Nepal Evo's? I have a ton of REI gift cards laying around and I desperately need a good winter boot

For those things, then yes. Either Nepal EVO or Scarpa Mont Blanc. They are fiunctionally identical. I've climbed mountains in both of them.
The Nepal has a slightly narrower toe (IMO) and also a rocker point on the sole which is slightly farther back. Depending on what ratio of your total foot length is toe vs (rest of foot), one or the other will have a more natural stride.

But one of those 2 should fit and will satisfy your needs for CO winter and Rainier (summer).

Postby forbins_mtn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 am

I think my girlfriend is lurking the website. She bought me Evo's for valentine's day and couldn't wait to give them to me.

Now the question is: do I marry this girl, or what?

Postby TomPierce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:16 am

forbins_mtn wrote:I think my girlfriend is lurking the website. She bought me Evo's for valentine's day and couldn't wait to give them to me.

I'd hold out for Spantiks.

:lol:

Sounds like a keeper to me!

-Tom

Postby pvnisher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

forbins_mtn wrote:I think my girlfriend is lurking the website. She bought me Evo's for valentine's day and couldn't wait to give them to me.

If the next gift is a rope with some "abrasions" and a large life insurance policy then you may wish to reconsider. :lol:

Next