Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Boot suggestions

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Boot suggestions

Postby PaliKona » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 pm

My current boots are a couple year old pair of Salomon GTXs that need replacing. I liked the mid ankle support and lighter weight of these but never liked how they felt after a long day of hiking...my feet were always more fatigued and sore than I would expect (even had green super feet insoles in them).
What boots under $200 would you recommend I look at and try? I'd like lightweight but supportive boots that are good for hiking and class 3 scrambling, has ankle support and are grippy.

Re: Boot suggestions

Postby pvnisher » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 am

You're going to get 1000 replies that all say some variation of 2 things. Allow me to summarize:
-wear trail runners, not boots
-the best boot is the one that fits you best.

I don't always agree with the trail runner thing, but sometimes it's true. I, however, like boots for off-trail hiking for the ankle protection so they don't get bashed as often.
The second truism is very true.
Go to a store and try on a bunch of boots. I actually went with my wife and had her hand me boots while my eyes were closed, so I wouldn't be swayed by appearance or price.
I ended up going with Timberland Chocorua Trailss, and have been very happy. I thought I'd spend more, even wanted to spend more, but they were cheap, durable, supportive, and best of all very comfortable and my feet don't hurt. I even wear them to museums and stuff when I'm on my feet for a long time because they don't make my feet hurt.

So forget everyone's recommendations (including my own), and go to the biggest, most well-stocked store around, and try on a bunch. They should fit fantastically right in the store (with your hiking socks and at the end of the day). If not, keep looking.

Postby PaliKona » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:55 am

Are there any brands I should focus on that are for narrow feet with high arches?

Postby Massholeo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm

I got myself a pair of Columbia "bugabootss" i believe they are called. Nobody has ever mentioned them but they were pretty inexpensive (compared to other options out there) and are plenty warm and extremely comfortable. Just another name to add to the list.... though I'm sure some may disagree.

Postby bking14ers » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I would suggest only purchasing a boot that has a Gore-Tex lining. Most boot makers use their own brand of waterproof liners, but they all seem to leak. Gore-Tex lined boots are the only thing I will buy anymore, they have never leaked on me. Wet feet suck. Period! I bought a pair of waterproof Oboz last spring (trying something different), very nice comfortable boot. After a day in the rain, my feet were soaked. I even smothered them with NixWax before I left home, but it didn't help. Liquid type waterproofers (DWR) don't waterproof like an accual fabric does.

Postby Bill Cummings » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 pm

So forget everyone's recommendations (including my own), and go to the biggest, most well-stocked store around, and try on a bunch. They should fit fantastically right in the store (with your hiking socks and at the end of the day). If not, keep looking.

+1 on these suggestions. Try on as many pairs as you can, and forget about anything that doesn't feel good right away. Maybe even go back a second time to make sure you still like them. After all, you'll be spending a lot of time in them.

Also, I really like these Powerstep Pinnacle Maxx insoles. I never got much benefit out of the superfeet insoles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045E5KCA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
Bill "Blind Willie" Cummings

"God loves you just the way you are. But He loves you way too much to let you stay that way." --"Junebug"
"You can't argue with the truth when it comes up and bites you on the buttocks." --Peter Lang

Postby Andymcp1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:36 pm

get whatever is the most comfortable on you. My favorite boots were a pair of Hitech's that were 50 bucks or so. They outlasted the past two pairs of "nice" boots that I have bought.

I prefer the trail runners, but get whatever works- more expensive is not always better.

Postby winmag4582001 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:10 pm

pvnisher wrote:You're going to get 1000 replies that all say some variation of 2 things. Allow me to summarize:
-wear trail runners, not boots
-the best boot is the one that fits you best.

+1
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."-Joel Bernardini

Postby MountainMedic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Also, buy them at REI. My boots are the one thing I ever returned...I bought a pair of Lowas and returned them after 50 miles of hiking (not just me taking advantage of the system - they had been improperly fitted by the salesman). It would suck to eat a $200 or so expense if you realize your boots don't fit you right after miles of hiking!

EDIT: If you have narrow feet and high arches, try out La Sportiva...after the Lowa incident, LS is all I wear.

Postby shearmodulus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:13 pm

+1 on La Sportivas for narrow feet. I have narrow and LONG feet (typically run a 46 or 46.5) and LS boots are the only things that don't feel like they were made for a sasquatch on my clodhoppers. So far their sizing has run consistent through the various pairs I've owned. Ordered a pair of Spantiks in my "usual" size because they were 40% off retail, crossed my fingers hoping they would fit when I got back from Afghanistan, and they fit like a champ.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."

Postby halfdomer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:02 pm

+1 on La Sportiva. I tried out a pair of La Sportiva Nepals from REI and had to return then. It's a solid boot but just not designed for my foot. I have wide feet low arches. I even went to a podiatrist to see if custom orthodics insoles would help and he said that boot is not designed for my feet. So with you having the opposite, I think they could well suit you.

Postby MountainMedic » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Forgot to mention I've done a lot of orthotics searching. After ankle surgery last year, one of my tendons was pulled taught, temporarily creating a higher arch. During that time, A-Line orthotics were the only thing high (and rigid) enough. Don't have to wear them anymore, thankfully.

Next