Looking for a -20 to -40 Sleeping Bag

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtnResident
14ers: 58  13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Looking for a -20 to -40 Sleeping Bag

Post by MtnResident »

Check out Valandre line, as they make some very warm and lightweight bags. I have a +20 (just under 1 lb) and a -40 (<5 lbs) and they are super warm.
esskay1000
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by esskay1000 »

Here's one not mentioned, the Big Agnes Crosho SL. I just returned from a trip to Antarctica and needless to say I put it to the test, it was awesome. I'm not the warmest sleeper and I never got cold, some nights I only had it half zipped. Better yet, I got it for $450 and this site has it even cheaper.

http://www.mpgear.com/btmcsl-/big-agnes ... BTMCSLLL13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BA is more known for their tents but this bag just did me very well for 14 nights in Antarctica up to 13,000 feet and minus 30 temps. It packs pretty well too.
“Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!” - Dr. Seuss
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ve done some more reading and researching, you really can get bleary eyed and lost in this stuff for days. I do appreciate the level of quality in a WM bag, I already own a 32 and 10 WM bag and have been very happy with both bags.

I think I’ve got it narrowed down to these 4 choices. They are all within $100 of each other.

WM Puma MF (-25): 850+ fill, 36 oz fill weight, total weight 3lbs.7 oz., $742 (coupon)
Mountain Hardwear Wraith (-20): 800+ fill, 36 oz fill weight, total weight 4 lb. 6 oz., $675 (coupon)
Marmot Col MemBrain (-20): 800+ fill, 38oz fill weight, total weight 3lbs 14.59oz, $649
Marmot CWM MemBrain (-40): 800+ fill, 44oz fill weight, total weight 4lbs 8.89oz, $699

The WM Puma is the lightest overall weight and I know I can trust the temp rating to be true in real world conditions. It’s the only 850+ fill bag still on my list.

Between the 2 Marmot bags, with only a $50 difference in price I have trouble saying yes to the Col as it seems it would be worthwhile to invest that $50 for 20 more degrees. Marmot says that both bags use a 22L stuff sack, so I wouldn’t even be saving any space with the Col.

I had taken the MH Wraith off my list due to due to its $900 price tag and weight on the heavier side. But, then I read of a lot of folks really liking the Wraith, and received a 25% coupon that will bring the price down to $675. This is most likely the coldest bag of the 4 with 36 oz of 800+ down.

Any thoughts on which one to pick and/or eliminate from this list?

I do sleep cold, my 32 degree bag only works to around 40 for me. That’s one of my concerns with the Wraith, it does have the lowest fill weight, but on the other hand it does seem like a lot of people like it. The CWM is tempting just because it sounds so warm, but it is the heaviest overall and may actually just be too warm a lot of the time.
Andymcp1
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andymcp1 »

I don't have experience with any of the bags you have left on your list, but here is my general advice. If you plan to have a down suite, or parka and pants it would be easier to layer your sleep system and go with a -20 bag. It will save you a bit of weight and should suffice for all but the unplanned bivy at 26,000 ft. If you know you always sleep cold it seems best you go for the -40 and use less layers if too warm. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 4 bags and it really comes down to personal preference at this point as you will get recommendations for every bag on your list.
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

when you are spending that much what's another $100... :-D can't go wrong with the WM Puma, it's toasty and light. You will probably want a compression bag for it though so it won't take up your entire pack.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

highplaces: Don't mean to derail things, but I have a very lightly used WM Puma, Goretex, etc. that I'm willing to part with, compression sack included. PM if interested, but I fully understand if you want to go new.

-Tom
herdbull
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Post by herdbull »

maybe this will help......

http://www.moontrail.com/marmot-col-membrain-reg.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

As I posted earlier I have the Marmot Col and Cwm both with Goretex shells, they are nice bags. I have a bit of MH gear and sold them for many years in outdoor retail. I would say if you're still considering the WM then go with that bag, I have little doubt it's the best of the bunch. My second choice would be the Marmot bag.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

I decided on the very lightly used Western Mountaineering Puma that TomPierce offered up. I just couldn't pass up a solid bag with a significant discount off retail (thanks Tom!).

Once I have the chance to use it a few times, I'll post an update. Though I have no doubt the Puma will be quite toasty.
Dakota
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dakota »

Update on this experience? I have been eye balling a Puma myself. Also looking at FF Peregrine.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Shameless plug, I'm selling the aforementioned wm lynx (- 10). Pm if interested, I'll get it listed in the next few days.
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Sorry for not coming back sooner to post an update. I used the WM Puma on a trip to Nepal in April 2015. Slept as high as 17k for several nights (temps in the mid-teens) very comfortably in the WM Puma. I was never even close to cold and wore very light layers. I do sleep cold, usually only comfortable about 8-10 degrees above the rated temp on a bag. I'm very happy with the WM Puma bag and know it will go to much lower temps and still be warm enough for me. I was very happy not to have any worries of being cold overnight.