Trail Runner Recommendations

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Trail Runner Recommendations

Post by EatinHardtack »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on trail runners but what brands typically have the best soles (sticky and durability)? I have the Sportiva Wildcats and they have held up great so far but I don't feel like they are all that sticky on rock. Looking to get another pair of trail runners this season.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Jeff, have you found the Helios SR to be a bit narrower than the original Helios? I might swing for a pair and get them retrofitted with a BOA dial, so that I can run with them a bit looser and then tighten them up for flatiron scrambling. Def. would be more appealing then schelping two pairs like I do now.

I would def. take your caution on La Sportivas as well:

Helios are awesome, but I'm not as happy with the Anakonda's - that plastic heal cup is questionable and the midsole is just flat and brutal compared to the Helios, which feels like running on clouds. I like the tread pattern on the Anacondas for this time of the year though.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Odd - the LS Wildcats and Raptors have among the stickiest rubber out there for a trailrunner.

My perfect all-mountain running, scrambling, scree-ing, talus bashing shoe would be Ultra Raptor treads with the all-leather upper part (Electrons?). So basically Electrons without the wave tread crap. Kinda heavy, but it would last off trail a whole lot longer. Slightly stiff, but that's good for scrambling.

The Addidas Terrex sound interesting.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Of La Sportivas I have quite enjoyed the grip from the Crosslite 1.0s, Anakondas, and Bushidos.

The Anakondas are dreamy in their nimbleness but not really that pleasant for long runs, though I have done several 20+ mile hiking days in them. They are really suited for a wetter environment than Colorado, though.

I like Altra Lone Peaks but I wouldn't even but them in the same league of traction and nimbleness as most La Sportivas. If I am heading out on technical, rocky terrain, I want my Lost Totillas.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

EatinHardtack wrote:Sorry for my lack of knowledge on trail runners but what brands typically have the best soles (sticky and durability)? I have the Sportiva Wildcats and they have held up great so far but I don't feel like they are all that sticky on rock. Looking to get another pair of trail runners this season.
In my experience, often times the stickier the rubber, the less the durability/longevity (like car tires), so achieving both is something shoe companies have been trying hard to do for some time, with limited success at best. The outsoles on the Sportiva Bushido and C-Lites have held up well for me and have awesome grip on just about any surface/condition (better than the outsoles of the Wildcat and Ultra Raptor in my opinion). However, it should be noted that I have found the outsoles of the Wildcat and the Ultra Raptor to be much stickier than the average shoe and have held up reasonably well, with my only complaint being the lugs near the toe have peeled off a bit premature compared to other shoes. Not a deal breaker though.

The Continental outsole of the aforementioned Adidas Terrex Boost has excellent grip on rock and a good tread pattern for loose terrain as well, yet is durable and is holding up quite well.

One word of advice for anybody considering Altra, they are excellent shoes, but the zero drop takes some getting used to if you are used to the typical 8-12mm drop in many shoes. Use caution and slowly ease into longer mileage.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

justiner wrote:Jeff, have you found the Helios SR to be a bit narrower than the original Helios?
Justin, I have not noticed a difference in fit/sizing and I wore one of each around the house once just to compare, but I can double check tonight.
The Android
14ers: 38 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (3)

Post by The Android »

+1 for all of the Ultra Raptor recommendations. Very sticky sole. Great for scrambling and long hikes. The Ultra Raptor is very similar to the wildcat with a bit more stiffness so also a +1 for Wildcat.

-1 for Salomon Speedcross 3 if you are scrambling at all. I love the fit, but those big lugs get torn off very quickly if you are on any rocks. Seriously. After the first hike these shoes were already in bad shape, like missing lugs and holes through the thin rubber sole. Expensive mistake. Immediate regret on not buying Ultra Raptors.

+1 for Patagonia Tsali 3.0 if you are not scrambling. I have done a bunch of uphill running and some backpacking in them. Nice cushioning. They seem to hold up pretty well for Patagonia. Plus some nice venting.

Overall I think if your foot can fit into La Sportiva then they are probably the best. Never tried the Brooks Cascadia, but also a really great choice.

Haven't worn Altra, but my understanding is that they haven't been known for their construction in past. Maybe this goes back to their early days?

Anybody have words about Dynafit shoes? Just found pairs of the Feline Superlight and Feline Ghost for real cheap at the Black Diamond sale. Picked them up to give them a shot.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Not running shoes, but possibly of interest here, Arc'Teryx is getting into the footwear market:

http://www.si.com/edge/2015/01/21/tech- ... twear-line" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what I think of these, but would be interested in checking them out.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Thanks goodness. I've found myself thinking on multiple instances: "You know, footwear could stand to be more expensive." :mrgreen:
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Goretex low top approach shoes? Gosh that sounds silly.
Jeff Valliere
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Doug Shaw wrote:Thanks goodness. I've found myself thinking on multiple instances: "You know, footwear could stand to be more expensive." :mrgreen:
Yeah, but they will look pretty awesome with a $300 fleece and a $700 shell ;)
Gombu
14ers: 39 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gombu »

To give my opinion to the OP question.

Its sound like you have a shoe that you like and it works for you the Wildcat.

Until the shoe company changes something, why would you.

My last 2 runs this week were in Montrail Vitesse and Leona Divides, long discontinued models.

I do like the La Sportiva trail shoes they work for me as well.

NFI in shoes...................