Vehicle Recommendations that aren't Subaru/Toyota/Jeep?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which Car?

Mazda CX-5 (2013-new)
3%
Ford Escape (2011-new)
9%
Ford Edge (2011-new)
No votes
Honda Ridgeline (2011-2014 used)
29%
Volvo XC70 (2013)
6%
Ford F150 (2012-new)
54%

Total votes: 35
Gombu
14ers: 39 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Vehicle Recommendations that aren't Subaru/Toyota/Jeep?

Post by Gombu »

If you are looking for a mountain "escape" vehicle for rough roads, getting to trail heads. I would go with the F150

I keep an almost 19 year old suburban for that purpose, no extra lift, but have one size larger real truck tire (10ply, Load Range E)

If its more of a daily driver, I would go with the Mazda then Volvo.
ralph
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ralph »

Love my truck....06 Land Rover...goes just about anywhere in comfort. Plus the seats folded down flat and I can sleep in the back with the tail gate up. It's nice having a tail gate.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.09.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.09.11 PM.png (152.57 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Frontrangeskier
14ers: 54  8  1 
13ers: 83 16
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Frontrangeskier »

All those vehicles are crap.
Catchy saying from someone famous.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

Why not get another Honda CRV? My sister drives one and loves it for occasional adventures in the mountains. An F150 or honda ridgeline would probably be my next choice but honestly I like SUV's over trucks for camping cause your stuff is inside and protected from dust and weather. You can of course use a camper shell or waterproof totes but I prefer to just have an SUV. My wife drives a 4 runner and it's great for adventures.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Make sure you get something with 4wd low range. This is especially true if you are going to upgrade your tires to a larger size. You lose torque with a larger tire. Also, some trailhead roads have steep inclines and can be quite taxing on the engine without low range.
Century Bound, eventually.