Tarp for shelter? Bugs?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Tarp for shelter? Bugs?

Post by TallGrass »

Bear Paw Lair looks interesting. Which version, what options, and total weight did you get? If no netting, what is your skeeter plan? Mind saying how much you paid? Progrees on bag and pad weight?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

There will still be bugs and particularly in places that have more water. However, campsite selection is important. Camp a little above and away from the lake or other body of water.
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

You might also consider taking a mosquito head net to sleep in.
rocky
south fork, colorado
CreekRunner
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 35 5
Trip Reports (5)

Post by CreekRunner »

You said you bought a tent in the last year, so why not just use the rain fly, stakes, and hiking poles? I just went on a backpacking trip in Pecos Wilderness, NM (basically Colorado) and it did well at keeping out bugs.
TentShelter.jpg
TentShelter.jpg (191.93 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

TallGrass: I got the silnylon tarp with no bug netting, floor, or beak. It's 12 oz. without stakes or ground cloth; probably just over a pound with them. Got it for $75 used (but basically new) on the backpackinglight.com gear swap. My bug plan was to only use it in the late season when the bugs are gone, but now I'm thinking of using it earlier, hence the question here.

rocky: The headnet sounds like a good idea. I think I'll go pick one up and just try using it over my hat. I have a hard time picturing how well that'll work since I sleep on my side though.

CreekRunner: That's not a bad idea! Wish I'd thought of it before I bought a tarp